Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Smart failure , short drive self test failure

Smart failure , short drive self test failure

Hi all

This is what was reported when using Seatools.
    Itīs not that old , itīs a 500 g diamond maxtor, is running the dos tool for seagate ok. ? as in would it repair this drive or should it be replaced. It seems to be running ok.

Replace it before you lose what's on it. Back it up now.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Certainly backup now if you have any important data you cant afford to lose.

The SMART messages always sound critical but may not actually be so. It is a crude enough tool at the best of times.

After backingo-up any critical data do the long test and also suggest a generic test with HDTune which can also help decipher the exact SMART messages.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks
    Fortunately this is not my boot drive.
    I have an external 500g diamond maxtor to back up on. Should I just copy and paste all, or should I use a clone type program, (is one type less prone to error than the other when transferring large amounts of data)?

is one type less prone to error than the other when transferring large amounts of data
    Not really. If you copy and paste via the file system there is innate error checking with every file. If you clone data sector by sector then errors can occur but most such cloning utilities will allow verification afterwards.

If storage space is at a premium then one can create zipped archives instead of copy/paste or by making compressed image files instead of just copying/cloning a whole partition (or hard drive) at a time.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks very much for the help.

Iīll report back with the results at a later time . I have to go and wrap some presents .

I hope you all have a pleasant festive season.

Ok I swapped hard drives , and ran a test once again with seatools on the other 500gig diamond maxtor. It also failed on the smart and the short drive test. I ran the deep online analysis in speedfan and it all seems good . Here is the result.

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepanalysis.php

This is the result for the first Diamond maxtor I was having the same problem with.

Update . This is my boot drive a 320 maxtor which is showing a couple of issues, in seatolls test this passes smart and short drive.

Which test am I to believe ?
    Last edited by mr soft; 01-02-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Update

I just ran the long generic test with seatools , it passed.
    I ran the smart and short drive test again, this time it passed. I imagine the long generic test repaired the bad sectors . Iīm going to repeat this process with the other one and hopefully get the same results.
    Any ideas on that boot drive, can I run the long generic test on a hard drive with data/files on it ?

Which test am I to believe ?
    The results of all three appear to be indentical.

Any ideas on that boot drive, can I run the long generic test on a hard drive with data/files on it ?
    It doesnt matter which drive you test. The data should not be any more at risk during testing than during normal use.

I have always had little faith in relying on SMART results. Of course its nicer to have complete clean bills of health but life isnt always clear cut.

Sorry I havīnt replied Iīve been a bit busy

The results of all three appear to be indentical.
    Iīm not sure what happened there , thats the speedfan online report .
    Maybe I wasīnt seeing well that day.

I ran the HDtune in your sig and printed out the health results

Name:  hd tune 320 png.PNG
Views: 4941
Size:  19.2 KB My boot drive

Name:  HDTune 500g.PNG
Views: 4937
Size:  18.7 KB My slave.

Thread Information