Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: help computer wont boot all the way

Exclamation help computer wont boot all the way

i have a compaq desktop computer running on windows. the logo will come out then it will say something about not starting sucessfully and lets me chose from 5 different options. i tried all of them and its just an endless cycle of restarts. i even tried the recovery console but no luck. i wanted to know if anyone knows how to fix this, please any help is appreciated. when i chose to safe mode w/com. prompt.. multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System 32\Drivers\NDISRD.sys comes out @ the end

Such reboot loops generally require a repair installation unless the underlying problem is with a bad hard drive or RAM.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

ok but does anyone know why it says partition 2 and what is usually stored in it?

Many proprietary OEM hard drives have more than one partition on them and Compaqs often had an invisible restore partition used to return a PC to its factory condition. The fact that you can see the lines of code during a Safe Mode boot indicate that it is the correct partition to attemp to boot to.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information