Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows Media Player Doesn't Sync To Sony Walkman MP3 PLayer

Windows Media Player Doesn't Sync To Sony Walkman MP3 PLayer

When trying to sync music from the Windows Media Player 11 Library to a Sony Walkman MP3 player, I get the following error message. "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem & needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience"! Media Player shows that it's recognizing the Walkman player. Music can be dragged from the library & dropped into the sync box OK, but clicking on the sync button brings up the error message. What's wrong here & how can I fix it?

If it helps - This hard drive & the software on it worked fine previously but it was just moved to a different computer (motherboard died).
    Best regards, Dick

Umm...after the transfer did you reinstall Windows?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

No, Windows was not re-installed. What do you suggest I do now?
    Best regards, Dick

Windows doesn't really like being moved from one system to another. A lot of that is designed into Windows, so there isn't any need to go into the reasons why it doesn't.

I'm almost certain that the problem stems from the transfer. It could be some sort of copy-protection/DRM malfunctioning because the hardware hash isn't matching up (very, very likely) or just some driver/system file not playing well on the new hardware (a bit less likely, but sit likely).

Boot into Safe Mode and then in Device Manager (show hidden under View on the toolbar). Make sure that any/all drivers/hardware for the old configuration are uninstalled.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

"It could be some sort of copy-protection/DRM malfunctioning because the hardware hash isn't matching up"!

If it makes a difference, the motherboard/chip sets were the same in both the "dead" & transplanted PC's - only the names on the cases were different. Additionally, I "(Re)Activated" Windows with Microsofts blessings. I also looked up the definition of DRM. I don't believe that the music was copy protected, but I'll check this out.

"Boot into Safe Mode and then in Device Manager (show hidden under View on the toolbar). Make sure that any/all drivers/hardware for the old configuration are uninstalled"

I'm not sure I understand this suggestion. Am I to perform this on the existing Windows installation or a reinstall?

Re-installing Windows XP isn't much of an option in this case. It came bundled in an eMachine with no Windows CDs. A CD set was requested but eMachines all but told me to go to hell. The cost of buying a new Windows License isn't justified in this case.

Best regards, Richard
    Best regards, Dick

Ok...if it was a direct match motherboard then the drivers are probably not the problem. But the hardware 'hash' will be...all hardware is different and the items used to make the hash (for both activation and DRM) will be different between the motherboards. The fact that you reactivated without any problems indicates that there wasn't enough of a change to matter all that much, but for DRM it could be.

Now, that also means, since it activated without a problem it is less likely to be a DRM problem too. Even though I said earlier that DRM could still be a problem because of the different hardware, I think in most cases Windows itself is 'stricter'.

The check in Safe Mode and removal of unnecessary/old items is for the current install.

Also, eMachines should have provided some means of restoring to the factory config, at the very least...probably a restore partition that should allow you to burn your own media to use to restore. That won't allow you to do a repair install, in most cases, though. So don't worry about a repair install right now.

The next step is to make sure that everything...drivers and software is up to date. Especially chipset/motherboard and audio drivers. On the software side, make sure that WMP is up to date, too. A rollback and reinstall of WMP 11 may be a good idea.

Thread Information