Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Dead notebook

Dead notebook

I have a HP 6910p, I acquired it from my previous employer, it was a backup. I am no longer with them and I still have the PC, somehow it was lost in their system when I relocated. Anyway I went to turn it on a few weeks ago and it comes up blank, just a black screen. Any ideas on how to resolve?

The only discs I have at home are from my HP Pavillion dv1000 (WinXP). I tried putting a new hard drive in an

Acquired laptop

I believe the simplest thing to do would be to pack it up and send it back to your previous employer along with a note asking them to send you another one.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rev View Post
    I have a HP 6910p, I acquired it from my previous employer, it was a backup. I am no longer with them and I still have the PC, somehow it was lost in their system when I relocated. Anyway I went to turn it on a few weeks ago and it comes up blank, just a black screen. Any ideas on how to resolve?

The only discs I have at home are from my HP Pavillion dv1000 (WinXP). I tried putting a new hard drive in an
    If I understand this correctly, you have what is essentially a stolen computer, since it belongs to the company that you used to work for, and you want us to help you get it working again... Quite briefly, we don't do that here...

It is quite possible that it has protection built in that allows the company to essentially turn it into a doorstop with a remote command when they find that it is stolen, so do you need a doorstop??
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thread Information