Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Captcha game continues

Captcha game continues

The Windows Live Hotmail system captchas are vulnerable again, the spammers keep breaking the automatic security feature:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/news...-yet-again.ars

I don't know if I'd call that...well...I don't know what to call that. They're using wetware (good old fashioned human brains) for the cypher. How do you get around that?

180 grains of hot lead...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

you're a rather violent person sometimes mjc....

I like it!

Thinking about nonlethal solutions, though: what if subscribers were not allowed to be behind a proxy when creating an email and the MAC address for either the computer or the router you're behind was saved for--say--24 hours. I men, I've got more than a few email accounts, but I didn't get them all in one day.

I know that can be gotten around too, but spoofing a MAC is-fer me-time consuming. The whole point of these people creating hundreds of thousands of emails is that when you count it all up, its profitable. If it takes longer for each email account...it becomes less profitable.
    Last edited by minus-sign; 02-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Thread Information