Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Dual Boot Operating systems?

Question Dual Boot Operating systems?

Hi, 600Mhz, 256M of Ram,Hard Drive 20G, using win98.
    I decided to set up dual boot using NT 4.0. I decided also to use another hard drive due to win98 using fat32 and I wanted to keep it. Anyway, bought a 15G hard drive and piggy backed it as the slave. The primary IDE channel has been disabled due to using Ultra-66 contoller card. Secondary IDE channel has my CD-Rom and burner, both work fine. Partitioned and formatted new drive to fat16 to load NT 4.0 Workstation on. During Installation, after I put disk 2 of the startup disk in and after it searched for storage devices. It found the CD-Rom and I continued on, but soon after it keeps telling me that hard drive not detected and I have to exit out of installation. I know it has to do with the primary IDE channel being disabled but needs to be since using Ultra-66 controller card. Do I need someting else for NT/Ultra-66 to see the drives? A driver? If so, where and where do I get?? Lost???

Blog Entries

I don't know much about NT, but if I'm not mistaken, NT uses the NTFS (NT File System) instead of FAT 16. If that's not it, I'm not sure, seems like if BIOS sees the hard drive, NT should too. Can't think of any reason the controller card should be a problem, if it works to begin with.

Maybe someone who knows more about NT will have some info.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Since you have diabled the Primary IDE channel. I'll assume your using a PCI card to "kick" your UDMA33 system up to UDMA66. If so do you have a driver for this card?

In any case if there is a driver for this card. Load it during the phase of the NT install that ask you is there any other drivers you want to load.
    (If I remember correctly it's about the same time that it ask for a SCSI driver.)The NT installer can not use a "disk" channel that isn't "seen" by the mainboard BIOS or ,in the case of SCSI isn't BIOS enabled.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 11-13-2000).]

Thread Information