Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: scanning photos - got memory error

scanning photos - got memory error

I'm scanning images onto my Dell Dimension desktop PC - my scanner is a 3-in 1 Epson Stylus CX7800 scanner, everything goes fine up until when I'm in the process of scanning the 7th or so (i'm gussing without counting) image that I've previwed (using Home Mode) Resolution is at 400 dpi (I want to keep it at this setting). After I've previewed the 7th image or so and I'm in the process of doing a scan of this image, I get a memory error. I'm scanning these images into a group of folders [marked with the prefix "archive"] on my Dell PC's desktop (i.e. each image goes into a certain folder/no folders are open at the time of doing the scan)

here are some screenshots detailing the problem:

1) the memory error

2) my Dell PC's latest DX Diag

3) my desktop is pratically empty

I have 2 hard drives (c:\ and g:\) on this computer. Drive c:\ has a 74.5 GB capacity; it is 3.66 GB used space and 70.8 GB free space.
    Drive g:\ has a 111 GB capacity; it is 358 MB used space and 111 GB free space.

What is causing this memory error and how do I stop it from happening the next time I'm scanning images into my computer? How do I fix this memory error?

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I wonder if it's perhaps using the "clipboard" memory as a temporary holding pen before saving. In photo programs I've encountered pop-ups telling me I've a ton of stuff in memory and would I like to clear it.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Got this: I fixed it by telling the
    scanner to use a different 'work area' (go to Configuration .. Other).
    I assume therefore that the problem is with access permissions to the
    place where the scanner stores its temporary files.

From here:http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=439539

A Google search of your error message turns up tons of similar problems with Epson scanners...archiving back to 2004

Thanks, Whyzman - but where or how do I go into Configuration? I'm a complete newbie at this - and I forgot about the clipboard. Went into my scanner's configuration - this is the original configuration:

Well, I'm browsing in "Other" > "browse" in my scanner's configuration:

and I scrolled all the way to the bottom of this list - and I saw no folder marked "clipboard" so I can change the setting.

Now I'm even more confused.
    Last edited by K515; 02-26-2009 at 08:41 PM.

In the past I scanned a LOT of photos of varying sizes from very small to much larger.

There were times when the scanner program would complain that the resolution was too high...
    The amount of data [or image pixels] was too great, and I was forced to reduce the resolution.

If the original photo was small:
    I could choose a high resolution of say 1200 [dots per inch = dpi].

If the photo was larger:
    I was forced to reduce the resolution to say 300.

Think of the total number of pixels that can be handled as having a limit.
    Multiply the the dpi by itself [square it]...
    Then multiply that number by the number of square inches in the original [chosen region of] photo.
    e.g.
    1200x1200 = 1,440,000
    Times 1 inch by 2 inch = 2 x 1,440,000 =2,880,000
    As opposed to:
    300x300 = 90,000
    Times 6 inch by 4 inch = 24 x 90,000 = 2,160,000

I'm not sure what's producing the above limit; I'd like to know.
    It may be a built-in limitation of the scanner.

how do i find out if the scanner is using the clipboard? if it is, what am i supposed to do so that i don't get this memory error again?

still stumped

If after scanning you can paste the image into an editor then it is scanning to the clipboard (actually most scanning software does it this way). In fact when you scan, you can have up to three copies of a given image in memory at the same time...the one in the preview, the one on the clipboard and the one in the editor.

You say you are having problems after about the seventh scan...well, think about this...how much memory are you actually using if you've got 21 copies of your images open?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thank you, Sylvander. But where do I get the required patch? And is disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable really neccessary?

You might want to try this in the event that the patch doesn't work... It looks like you can clear the clipboard without using a third party utility...

For Windows XP

Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.

Then click on Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.

Locate the white area of the screen next to the word Open: in the Run Menu.

Now type in the abbreviated word Clipbrd and click on the OK button to launch the Program.

Notice how the Clipboard contains a record of your recent copy and paste inputs.

To empty your Clipboard, click on the word Edit located within your top tool bar area.

Then click on the word Delete from the pull down menu that appears.

Windows will ask you if you want to Clear the contents of the Clipboard.

Click on the Yes button to allow Windows to clear the Clipboard.

Notice how your former imputed information is now cleared from the Clipboard.

Then close the Clipbook Viewer Window to return to your Windows session.
    Last edited by Whyzman; 02-27-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Thank you very much, Whyzman - but where do I get the patch? Do I have to keep clearing the clipboard over and over again? How do I set my scanner so it does not have to use the clipboard and thus get filled up?

In Sylvander's post above he left a link for the patch...

Quote Originally Posted by K515 View Post
    Thank you very much, Whyzman - but where do I get the patch? Do I have to keep clearing the clipboard over and over again? How do I set my scanner so it does not have to use the clipboard and thus get filled up?
    Whyzman answered.

Yes (or get a ton more RAM).

You don't. That is exactly what the clipboard is for. Temporary place to hold stuff like text and files you want to copy, images that you are scanning, etc.

Also, update to SP2, at the very least. Update DirectX to ver 9 (what ever is the latest download).

In your first post you are showing a screenshot that has you using 87 MB of virtual memory...that pretty much means you've tapped out most of half a gig! Hard drives have nothing to do with memory.

Remember what I said about having up to 21 copies of the image? Well, a raw, scanned image at a decent resolution weighs in at 10+ MB per image (and 30+ isn't unheard of...). So you are using between 210 and 630 MB for those 7 copies (probably toward the lower end of the spectrum...or you'd run out of memory sooner).

And yes, Windows should probably be replacing the image in the clipboard at each scan...but until you actually save the file in a compressed format you will have multiple copies of it running around in RAM.

You also need to look at everything else you have running while trying to do this...if you have a ton of stuff (email, instant messaging, music playing, etc).. it will cut down the available memory for things like scanning.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

1. "where do I get the required patch?"
    Those instructions are not very good are they?
    My understanding having read them is:
    (a) You need to find the esuf3ee.exe file on the Epson software installation CD, and run that exe file to install the patch.

I looked for the esuf3ee.exe file on the web and found a copy HERE.
    Don't know if it's the correct/suitable version; it would be best to use the copy on your Epson CD [assuming you have one].
    Here is...the esuf3ee.exe patch inside a zip archive file.

I was able to download the zip file using the above link, and unzip the 2 files inside.

mjc is, as usual, on the money here. You are either running out of RAM because you don't have enough for the way you are using your system or there is a rogue program with a "memory leak" that is not releasing its memory back into general use when it is closed down.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

1. "After I've previewed the 7th image or so and I'm in the process of doing a scan of this image, I get a memory error."
    (a) I always:
    Preview...
    Scan...
    Auto-adjust the brightness...
    Manually adjust the brightness...
    [Doing those two magically/significantly reduces the size of the jpg file]
    Save-as the image [give it a suitable name] to some folder location on some partition.
    The above is done for one image before moving on to the next; I NEVER preview lots of images before finally scanning one of them.
    What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    What do you do?
    I do this:
    1) preview each image;
    2) scan the image;
    3) save it in one of these archived folders (see my dell dimension's screen desktop in the above screenshot in my post;
    4) go on to preview the next image;
    5) repeat all of the above.

Previous to this scanning activitity where I encountered the memory error I did a fresh, clean install of windows xp (without any service packs) from the factory's operating system reinstallation CD (it's a brown CD with white lettering on it) after reformatting drive c:\ and reinstalling all of the drivers (including for drive g:\ and the Epson Stylus CX7800 printer drivers). This Dell Dimension 8200 desktop pc I ordered from Dell.com in November of 2001 brand-new, and it was the latest model on the market at that time. I brought my Epson Stylus CX7800 printer in November brand-new from the local Best Buy store in November of 2005, and it was my nephew who had hooked it up to the computer and installed the software for the printer before, and I do not know if I had Windows XP's Service Pack 2 installed (oh, it's all coming back to me now; when he last reformatted this computer's hard drive/reinstalled win XP, my nephew did, in fact, installed all the windows XP updates several years ago, incl. SP_2).

Well, I guess since I had all the latest (incl. SP_2) installed onto this computer's Win XP is this why I never encountered this memory error before (ever since I got my Epson Stylus CX7800 printer)?

Just now I've searched Microsoft.com for a free download of Windows XP sp_2, I saw some links to sp_2 but when I clicked on them, they turned out to sp_3 for Windows XP. Could anyone here please point me to a link from which I can download sp_2 for Windows XP which I can then save as a file on a USB flash drive/jump drive from my mom's computer (from where I'm currently accessing this forum) and then transfer it to my Dell computer that's upstairs in my office along with the instructions for installing the update so I can install sp_2 onto my Dell PC's windows XP?

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
    Though I doubt it will solve your current "memory problems".
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Paul, I found this: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows...-security.html

and I'm in the process of downloading it "saved to desktop" rather than "run" on my mom's PC. It is a 266 MB zipped file. Is this the real Windows XP Service Pack 2, or just a cheap imitation?

ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS, download Windows updates directly from MS. Stop that download and use the link Paul put up...

SP2 is free so there are no cheap imitations. The download is directly from microsoft as far as I can tell and the file is the correct size. The full download link is:-
    Code:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
    The MD5 of my own file is:-
    59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

If your file has the same MD5 checksum you should be good to tango. There should never be any need to go to the MS site indirectly as you did - though admittedly it's not always easy to find what you want there.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 02-28-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: md5 checksum added

mjc, I did not run that download; I saved it on the PC desktop as a zipped file. And just right now I've just deleted it and I went to the link Paul set up for me, and am now starting a new download from Paul's link. The reason I didn't want to download from Paul's link originally is because on that page it said the download would take 10 hours on a dial-up internet. But now that I've started the download from Paul's link, the download dialogue box says it'll only take 45 minutes.

After I have my supper and collect the XP sp2 downloaded file onto my flash drive, I'm going to download and collect that Epson patch that Sylvander found for me onto my flash drive also, so what I want to know is: is disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable (on the scanner/printer) really neccessary?

also, do i really have to back up my files (such as these folders marked "archive") before running sp_2?
    Last edited by K515; 02-28-2009 at 08:55 PM.

1. "is disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable (on the scanner/printer) really neccessary?"
    Yes it is.
    I think what's happening there is that when you disconnect the scanner the [old/unpatched] driver is unloaded from RAM.
    Then when you reconnect the scanner USB connection...
    Its [new] presence is detected by Windows, and the new registry settings [created by installing the patch] are read and used to load the new driver files [created by installing the patch].

2. "do i really have to back up my files (such as these folders marked "archive") before running sp_2?"
    It's wise to ALWAYS have backups regardless.
    I keep both image backups [ made by the FREE Puppy Linux->Puppy Universal dd and/or the non-FREE Image for DOS] and the 2nd copies made by the FREE SyncBack.
    SyncBack is particularly nice because it scans for "differences" between the "source" and "destination" and only needs to copy over those few differences, not the whole contents of a partition for example.
    AND...
    It can work on all the profiles [backup/restore of (contents of) various partitions?] concurrently.
    But SP2 isn't going to eliminate any of your non-OS [user] data files; not unless something goes horribly wrong...
    Which it does sometimes, hence the general need for backups.

Thread Information