Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Error Code 2000-0142

Dell Error Code 2000-0142

My harddrive failed, I bought a new one and installed it about 4 weeks ago. Everything was fine, until I turned it on and it wouldn't start up, it keep cycling asking me if I wanted to start in safe mode or last good configuration, but would never startup.
    I ran diagnostics and I got error code 2000-0142. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505. Upon looking up this code all I have found is that the harddrive failed.
    Is this true? It is a new hdd, and nothing happened to it, or the last one for that matter. Could something internally be causing my harddrives to fail?

Brand new hard drives can and do fail immediately or after both short and very long periods of time. HDDs don't like being jolted and because they contain electric motors they also don't like fluctuations in their power supply.

It is not quite clear how (or indeed if) both your original and the current drive have completely failed. The current drive might have errors on it but you wouldn't even get the options to boot into safe mode etc if no access at all to the windows partition had been possible because of total HDD failure.

This sounds much more like a poor or loose (either data or power) cable/connection to the HDD or even a faulty PSU.

A totally failed drive (or one with inadequate or absent power supply etc) won't appear in the BIOS setup, which is one thing you should check/have checked with the original drive. I would double-check that all connections are nice and tight (particularly all SATA cables and any IDE molex connections) and run a formal diagnostic on the hard drive with a utility available from most HDD manufacturers' (not Dell who buy drives from other manufacturers) websites.

BTW, what make and model is your HDD?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thank you for the info! I can get around replacing hdds, ram or fans, but that is about my limit. My current drive is a Western Digital 160GB and my old one was a WD 120GB. The old one, I am sure died. I cannot remember the message anymore, but there was no doubt. I knew it was going, there were symptoms before it crashed.
    How do I test the harddrive? I saw the software on WD's site, but if the laptop won't start windows I can't download it there. Can I buy something to connect the scorpion 2.5in drive to my pc?

WD should provide a Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS that supports your model. You can download a version that runs from a floppy or CD. Make one or the other on your current PC and then put the disk/diskette in the laptop and boot to it in order to check the hard drive.

You can alternatively remove the 2.5" drive and use an appropriate USB converter cable (or enclosure) to access it from the Windows Lifeguard Diagnostic. If a SATA then it can be attached directly to a spare SATA slot on the mobo or if an IDE you could also use a 2.5 to 3.5 converter "gizmo" and attach it (best as a lone master with no slave at the end of an IDE cable) to the mobo.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

have fixed it ERROR CODE 2000-0142 and UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Hiya People - I have successfully managed to fix this error.

I too have experienced similar problem where for no reason our Dell Vostro 1510 laptop just stopped working without warning, no noises, no bumps, no spikes and no other significant identifiable reason to stop working.

Received the Blue Screen and after not being able to boot up in safe mode, or in safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompts.

The Blue Screen came up with :
    error code : 0142
    message error code : 2000-0142

Another diagnostic message
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Also got error messages during diagnostics, however the above seem to be the common theme of many other peoples problems.

After trawling through countless forums and numerous google combinations seeking info on this issue, no one seemed to be able to offer a solution to get the machine operational to be able to save data.

This is what I did after piecing together snippets of info from multiple websites and hours of frustration.

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
    As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
    Hit the F12 key
    This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
    Select boot from CD/DVD drive

For me windows loaded some files and gave me an option to either install windows or repair.

I selected repair

I was then asked for the admin password -- typed it in.

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
    or
    Type in CHKDSK/R

Hit the ENTER key

Once your machine has finished and repairing the hard drive, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your laptop.

PRESTO THE STUPID DELL LAPTOP IS NOW BOOTING UP AND IS NOW HAVING ALL ITS DATA BACKED UP.

I have also found another command that could be tried if the above fails. Bear in mind, i didnt have to do it, but will post it here anyway.

After the command prompt - type in FIXBOOT

According to the DELL website the error code 2000-0142 is a Drive Self Test failed error code. http://support.dell.com/support/topi...ED2&doclang=en

This has worked out for myself and i do hope it works for you.

Dell error 2000-0142

I am on my 3rd COUNT EM THIRD hard drive for a Dell Latitude d630. I am going to have to call these morons again tomorrow and tell them that the hard drive is going out again. It is slowing down to a snail and giving the 0142 error code again! Luckily I have bought an extended warranty. The bad thing though is you have to spend another 3 hours on the phone convincing the idiots that it is bad again.
    My suggestion is if you are contemplating purchasing a laptop DO NOT, I REPETE DO NOT get an over priced Dell. They are the highest and the most overrated product going. Dell has gone to hell in a hand basket.
    You can go to a flea market and get a hell of a machine from an independent contractor that works on them right on the spot if something were to go wrong with it at 1/2 the price.
    I have a piece of junk Toshiba I bought at Wall Mart on sale at 450.00 that puts this Latitude to shame.
    Don't make a mistake and get a Dell Dude.
    Remember the commercial all......"Hey Dude, you got a piece of junk"
    (and paid out the ass for it to boot!!!!!)
    Dell you are making junk and I have had about enough of it and your customer service idiots that can barely speak English that want to know how many hairs you have on your earlobe before they take any kind of warranty action.
    Hopefully I have just saved some of you some real headaches. Don't buy a Dell you will be sorry especially after what you have to pay for it.
    Good Luck.

alvintustigjr you seem to have had bad luck. I have purchased a dozen or so Dell laptops over the past year or two. Only one needed an RMA for a fault that developed on a display about 6 months after purchase. It was collected, repaired and returned without any fuss all within about three days. I actually think Dell have improved their act out of all recognition and my most regular fault with them is that if you order a machine on line you don't have any idea how long it will be before delivery.

I have a piece of junk Toshiba
    Call it what you may, but I'll still blacken your eye!

Get a grip

"I REPETE"
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

dell error 2000-0142

Try This: Go Into Bios -> Onboard Devices -> Flash Cache Module -> Turn Flash Cache Module Off -> Sata Operation -> Switch Ahci To Ata -> Save And Exit. Now Fresh Install Your Windows And You Should Be Good To Go !!!

I Had Same Problem And It Worked For Me.

Dell Error Code 2000-0142 on Blue Screen

I have Dell Inspiron 1545 with Vista. While the computer was automatically installing a Windows update while shutting down, the computer battery power went off. On restarting and going thru the repair mode, got this Dell Error code and message on Blue Screen.

Called Dell to obtain Key for re-installing operating system if necessary to fix problem, but was informed that the Key is not necessary for the installation. Moreover, Dell informed that the error code signified that the Hard Drive had crashed and had to be replaced, and support would be provided at cost. Total cost $198

Followed dad rules ok's suggestion below on my computer and everthing was set up as before and back to normal..

Goes to show how much Dell supports folks know...

Contrarian,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, a lot of the "technicians" on such support lines are working from scripts, and really have no great depth of knowledge. That's not to say they're all like that; I've had the good fortune to work with some people who'll think outside the box and really work a problem. Unfortunately, a lot of these places are performance-driven due to the number of calls they handle, rather than the quality of service they provide.

That's why it's always nice to see a forum like this where like-minded people will share their knowledge and help others
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Having problems repairing...

I have tried to use your suggestion below but when I put in the disk for my OS I do not get the repair option.....can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by dad rules ok View Post
    Hiya People - I have successfully managed to fix this error.

I too have experienced similar problem where for no reason our Dell Vostro 1510 laptop just stopped working without warning, no noises, no bumps, no spikes and no other significant identifiable reason to stop working.

Received the Blue Screen and after not being able to boot up in safe mode, or in safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompts.

The Blue Screen came up with :
    error code : 0142
    message error code : 2000-0142

Another diagnostic message
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Also got error messages during diagnostics, however the above seem to be the common theme of many other peoples problems.

After trawling through countless forums and numerous google combinations seeking info on this issue, no one seemed to be able to offer a solution to get the machine operational to be able to save data.

This is what I did after piecing together snippets of info from multiple websites and hours of frustration.

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
    As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
    Hit the F12 key
    This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
    Select boot from CD/DVD drive

For me windows loaded some files and gave me an option to either install windows or repair.

I selected repair

I was then asked for the admin password -- typed it in.

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
    or
    Type in CHKDSK/R

Hit the ENTER key

Once your machine has finished and repairing the hard drive, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your laptop.

PRESTO THE STUPID DELL LAPTOP IS NOW BOOTING UP AND IS NOW HAVING ALL ITS DATA BACKED UP.

I have also found another command that could be tried if the above fails. Bear in mind, i didnt have to do it, but will post it here anyway.

After the command prompt - type in FIXBOOT

According to the DELL website the error code 2000-0142 is a Drive Self Test failed error code. http://support.dell.com/support/topi...ED2&doclang=en

This has worked out for myself and i do hope it works for you.

2000-0142 means the drive is failing its own self-test routine. It's more likely an electronic than a mechanical failure.

As for the rest, Maxtor never shipped 2.5" drives in any volume, and hasn't existed as an independent in years. WD and Toshiba both do make 2.5" drives - but so too do Seagate and Samsung. Chances are you've a Seagate or a Samsung drive.

Bottom line: you need to replace the drive.

Currently, only WD & Toshiba offer 1TB 2.5" drives (WD=5200rpm, Toshiba=5400...have yet to see the Toshiba for sale in North America), but both are 12.5mm.

Big thanks to "dad rules ok". The chkdsk/r worked for me also! It took about 2 hours but all is well now, good as new!

(dutch btw) what if i cannot get to the "start from dvd" (supposingly i have a disk) cause it asks 1> start with recovery (recommended)
    2> start windows normally
    Both ways lead to "loading data" and than a W7 screen without the pop-up with suggestions i had earlier (when i ran into the 0x45d an 2000-0142 error codes) it stays blue-isch with dove/brench. SO, ANOTHER WAY TO START FROM DISK? thanx

00142 with status 70 is solved by:-
    A
    )remove the hdd and put it in the external hdd drive box and set the boot option as usb hdd.you will get an option of repair and normal start up CLICK repair and go to cmd and type the as folow commands and restart the system.
    1)chkdsk
    2)chkdsk/r
    3)fixboot

B)running the scan disk option by getting the page option of normal start up and press TAB

C)The memory diagonistic tool setup might also give you the accurate problem detal if UNSOLVED.

Thank you

tittbit, you have once again posted a misleading or unnecessary post.

Dells use F2 to enter the BIOS setup. The BIOS is OS independent and so has nothing to do with WinXP versus Win7 having been installed per se other than Win7 is more likely to have native drivers for AHCI SATA mode.

You haven't actually specified which option is being suggested to swap. If the option does relate to SATA drives it is probably to do with AHCI versus native SATA and swapping these on a drive that already contains a running operating system can result in non-bootability and even, on occasions, to data loss.

Long Live The Internet And Dad_Rules!

Had the same problem today and thanks to dad_rules, i got it fixed.

I didn't have the CD however so I booted it in safe mode and then

ran CHKDSK C: /F/R at the command prompt

took about an hour but it worked.

My Daughters laptop is doing this same thing. She had the hard drive replaced last year and doesn't think she has a disk.
    She bought another laptop, but would like to fix this one of possible too. She doesn't think she has a disc for it. How do we start it in safe mode..I am not tech savvy, but willing to give a try.

Well I found it can't be stated in safe mode. F8 does nothing.
    I guess lets hope she finds the disc.

Thanks

Thanks man! it worked for me
    cheers

Thanks man! it worked for me
    cheers

"invalid command or parameters"

My stepson's Dell N5010 hard-drive went kaput in March. I was relieved to find it was still within 7 weeks of the Dell CAR warranty. Off it went and a new HDD installed. The warranty expired 2 weeks ago and the replacement hard-drive expired last night! That's about 5 or 6 weeks after its installation. Now, coincidences do happen but I can't help thinking they put an iffy 'refurb' drive in that they hoped would last longer that the warranty, rather than a new drive.

Anyway, I tried the CHKDSK/f and CHKDSK/r and FIXBOOT fixes suggested here but only got a "invalid command or parameter" error each time. I've tried it on drives A through to F. CHKDSK returns info on number of sectors etc but doesn't do any fixing (obviously).

A is the non existent floppy
    B is a tiny drive of a few MB (??)
    C is actually a virtual RAM drive with HIMEN.SYS loaded into it.
    D & E return the error I mentioned.
    F is the DVD drive

I think this means the hardrive is so bust it is not even detectable. Am I right to assume this?

Not looking forward to replacing the drive as its is buried under the keyboard and DVD drive, both of which need removing to get at it.

Taking the hard drive out should be easy, there are only 2 screws. Here is the info on Dell's site.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1180023

The hard drive should be C or D. Chkdsk will return the volume info. Use chkdsk/r to repair the drive. When a message of incorrect command is returned, it's because the command was not typed in correctly. To learn all commands type the word help and press enter. Try it without any capital letters. You can refer to this link for clarity, although it's for XP it should still work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb491051.aspx

Thread Information