Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: "Incorrect function" on CD-ROM drive

"Incorrect function" on CD-ROM drive

I just finished reinstalling Windows 2K (using the CD in the CD-ROM drive) and when I put a CD in the drive to install a driver I get the following error message:

Any ideas? I have a spare CD-ROM drive if that's the problem, but then how did it allow me to install Windows from a CD?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

Does it happen with all CD disks?

Does it happen after another reboot?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Try to clean out your CD Drive lens with lens cleaner.
    Last edited by smith_; 04-16-2009 at 07:54 AM.

How old your CD Drive? It seems your CD Drive life has over.
    Surely this is not the issue since the drive was good to do the installation of the OS!!

@smith_. I have asked you before to consider more carefully before posting. We as a group of moderators may take steps to limit your activities if such posting becomes too repetitive or if advice given is likely to cause real anguish.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

The drive itself it good because I was subsequently able to install Office. So I am assuming that the problem was that CD, which was one I burned myself. But normally with a defective CD I get the "please insert" message, as if there were no disk in the drive, not "incorrect function" which confused me. I don't recall ever having seen this error message. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

Thread Information