Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Puppy Linux: "TeenPup 2009 Legacy" now released!

Puppy Linux: "TeenPup 2009 Legacy" now released!

This has been awaited with great anticipation.

Here's the thread by its maker John Biles.

I'm downloading it as I type this.
    Hope it works well on my PC.

Did you get it to work?

I'm going to give it a shot too!

1. "Did you get it to work?"
    Not so far.
    Seems like I won't be able to.
    Because I have a PCI to IDE SCSI RAID controller card in use, with my HDD connected to that...
    Puppies based on older distros [TEENpup is based on version 2] aren't made to work with such hardware, whereas Puppies with a more recently developed kernel handle it just fine.
    To date, I've tried a couple of older Puppies that simply couldn't see my internal HDD.

Hope it works for you.

Let us know what you think of it.

how would this compare to ubunto? While I was out shopping, I downloaded both teenpuppy and ubunto 9.4. I liked the idea of open office and FF

1. Best way is to try them both and see.

(a) When I booted the Ubuntu 8.10 CD and set about installing, I found it decidedly tricky at certain points in the process.
    And Ubuntu is a bigger ISO file that takes longer to download.

(b) In contrast, Puppy was fast to download and at every other step too.
    AND...it explained itself particularly well.
    I liked the way I was given the opportunity during 1st boot to make basic configuration choices, like mouse type, keyboard type, language, display manager, screen size settings and color depth.
    Hence no need to search for the place to specify those once into Puppy; it's all set up and going.
    NICE!

(c) Then once into Ubuntu...
    I could see the advantage got by it being a bigger OS.
    I began exploring its repositories of installable packages.
    GOODNESS ME! I spent ages on that and never did get to the end of the lists.
    Perhaps someone else would see that as an advantage, but I thought it was all too big.

(d) Puppy on the other hand is a bit small.
    The Puppy package manager at that time didn't have a great list of packages on offer; that's right now in the process of being fixed.
    But then it made it manageable, and anyway there are lots of packages made available as PET files on various threads in the Puppy Linux forums.
    I have listed some of them in my Puppy Linux thread.
    To view them, begin here at about page #5 [or the last page] and work back to page #1.
    Puppy is FASTER than Ubuntu [and Windows also].
    I liked what I saw of Puppy better than what I saw of Ubuntu 8.10.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (e) Another point is that there are LOTS of different varieties of Puppy out there...
    And because they are all relatively small, you can run as many of them as you like.
    I run at least 3, and try out others; rather interesting and fun.
    i.e.
    (e1)BoxPup installed to a 2GB ext2 Linux partition is my Puppy1 OS.
    Elegant, stylish, minimalist, nice touches.

(e2) The latest official Puppy Linux 4.2.1 RC3 is a "frugal" install on a 1GB USB Flash Drive as my Puppy2.
    I use this to backup/fix Puppy1.
    Puppy1 & Puppy2 can both backup/restore/fix Windows.
    Some of the latest features are an improvement on BoxPup's features, but BoxPup has others 4.2.1 RC3 doesn't have.

(e3) I can run various puplets of Puppy Linux from this optical disk or that...
    Muppy Linux 008.4c is my Puppy3 right now, and run in that way.
    It's comprehensive, colorful, unique special features.
    I hold the "pup_save" file needed by an optical disk bootup, in the root folder of the F: partition on the internal HDD.
    You can actually hold various pup_save files in the root folders of various partitions, and Puppy will ask you during boot to choose which to use.
    But what I normally do is "hide" their files [in a suitably named sub-folder] BENEATH the root folder, and move them into the root folder prior to booting the optical disk.
    Hence there is no need for Puppy to ask which to use.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 06-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Thread Information