Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: memory drain

Post memory drain

i have heard of the windows memory drain and wander whether this could be my problem. when my computer has booted, checking my memory using mem trax 11, i am told i have only 45meg free out of 128meg. this seems an awful lot to me as i have no other programs running other than explorer and systray. when i ask mem trax to free up some memory it doesn't gain me hardly anything. is there a way i can retrieve more of my memory.
    any ideas?

Blog Entries

Sounds like a lot, but then again, the more memory you give Windows the more it will use.

Check your Start Up folder to be sure nothing else is running, the Office related Fast Find is notorious for hogging memory. I create a temporary folder somewhere and drag everything in the Start Up folder into it, so I can replace them later if necessary.

Also check the task monitor, Ctrl+Alt+Del will open it, and see what's running in the background.

If you're using Win98 you can run msconfig and specify what programs to load at start up. This might also help.

Start\Run type msconfig in the command box, and click the Start Up tab. Do not uncheck:

Scan Registry
    System Tray
    Load Power Profile
    Task Monitor

All others can go, but leave anything related to your virus scanner. It's best to leave it running. You'll have to restart the computer for the changes to be made effective. Write down all changes.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information