Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Antivirus

Exclamation Antivirus

How do we get to know that an antivirus really lives up to its claims to remove viruses and malwares?

I don't know if this will be of any help, but you can download this free ebook for some guide.
    Last edited by classicsoftware; 08-23-2009 at 10:14 AM.

1. When I run any Puppy Linux or one of its puplets [e.g. BoxPup]...
    I run only its included firewall that takes about 3 seconds to install.
    I don't run ANY antivirus programs in the background, because [Puppy] Linux is practically uninfectable; I have never seen ANYONE at the Puppy Linux forums report that any Puppy ever was or are infected.
    I have "Avast! Antivurus" installed within BoxPup so I can scan the Windows partition for infections from outside of Windows when it is dormant.
    The only stuff it ever finds are "riskware", posing no serious/real threat.

2. "How do we get to know that an antivirus really lives up to its claims to remove viruses and malwares?"
    I assume you are referring to Windows, in which case:

(a) Go by the experiences of others.
    e.g. I only ever caught a Trojan once.
    My ISP disabled my email services because they detected my webmail was being used to send spam.
    I scanned for infection using various programs, but none was found.
    So I did as they advised and installed and scanned using "Trojan Hunter", and it found the single Trojan and eliminated it.
    I paid for the program and now have it installed, but seldom use Windows nowadays.
    It's really great to be [running various Puppies/puplets and therefore] free of all of that.

(b) I saw someone report at the Puppy Linux forums that he keeps a PC dedicated to the purpose of testing anti-virus software.
    He deliberately attempts to infect the machine to see which programs work best.
    He said Kaperski came out as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    I don't run ANY antivirus programs in the background, because [Puppy] Linux is practically uninfectable; I have never seen ANYONE at the Puppy Linux forums report that any Puppy ever was or are infected.
    Without a doubt, one of the most misleading statements ever posted on this forum. Windows has about 85% of the market, Mac OS, has about 8% of the market. That leaves all linux distros with 7% of the market. Sylvander that means you and 12 other guys are using Puppy Linux. Even if they could hack into every PC in every universe, known and unknown that runs any version of Puppy Linux it would be of no value to the people who write these rogue programs as it would generate about $12.00 per year in income.

Trust me, if anybody wanted to get into your system, they could.

“Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.”
    George S. Patton
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

1. "Even if they could hack into every PC in every universe, known and unknown that runs any version of Puppy Linux it would be of no value to the people who write these rogue programs"
    EXACTLY!
    Only one of the reasons I believe, but that'll do for me.
    I don't particularly care what the reasons are, just so long as I know that nobody who runs any version of Puppy is EVER under attack from the bad guys.

2. And even if they did [for some STRANGE reason] decide to attempt to hack in, I don't think they'd get too far.
    My BoxPup is giving a second-by-second graphical display of %CPU usage, so I'd notice any unexpected activity.
    Notice in the screenshots below, the difference between normal %CPU usage, and high [100%] usage.
    Pretty easy to spot, huh?
    That high usage was caused by starting up "Avast! Antivirus" that I keep for scanning the Windows partition.
    I've only ever found "Riskware" on my non Puppy partitions when using it.
    [Windows is now unlikely to get infected since I seldom use it these days]
    I tried scanning the BoxPup partition using it, but [of course] it came up clean.

(a) I also have a constant display on the desktop of all running processes with highest %CPU usage at the top.
    [There are only about 5 processes using more than 0% CPU, and the greatest usage right now is only 12%]

(b) The only partition mounted is the one holding the BoxPup files.
    If I suspected that the contents of that partition were infected [such a thing has NEVER been known to happen]...
    I could zero-fill that partition [or the whole HDD come to that], and use some other puppy...
    I have 2 others [at least, and all FREE] that could be used instead, as follows:

(c) Puppy Linux 4.2.1-rc3 is on a 1GB Flash Drive that's only connected when needed.

(d) Puppy Linux 4.3beta1 is loaded using a "live" CD, and has a pup_save file on a normally unmounted partition.
    [I'd use the offer by Puppy to encrypt it if I thought there was any real/practical risk]
    I could store it on a removable USB device if I thought it advisable and worth the trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sylvander; 08-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Trust me, read about what goes on at Defcon and Black hat. They could own you and you would never know.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

There are tests of antivirus and anti-malware programs but like Classicsoftware says, the real pros have the advantage in getting the info because they found unpatched vulnerabilities first.
    It is foolish to think your OS cannot be infected, just remember the first known computer virus was written for Unix, not Windows.

Like the knowledgeable people say at the Puppy Linux forums:

A METAPHOR:
    Why would the bad guys attempt to break into a strange/unusual/different/unique house that [are reputed to, or obviously] have its internal and external windows and doors protected by odd/customized devices/locks/bars, when the houses on either side and here and there into the distance have NO DOORS on them [neither internal nor external], and the valuables inside are on view for all to see, and just asking to be taken?

And if such houses are in decreasing supply, there are always those that only have external doors, some with weak construction and locks.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 08-23-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Sylvander,
    "Security by obscurity" might make you feel less of a target but if you provide no defenses this also makes you "low hanging fruit" for those willing to try. Sort of like using WinME or Win98 and whistling in the dark.

I hope you can appreciate what I am saying with some good humor.

Apple users tell me all the time they feel they cannot be infected, but they should also not feel invincible since there is current evidence of an Apple-targeted botnet in the wild.

There is even evidence of defenses in some packages of exploits where the malware attempts to break out and infect the researcher's PC if it detects being run in a virtual machine OS environment:
    http://www.darkreading.com/security/...leID=219400756
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 08-23-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Thread Information