Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How do you find all the IP addresses of your home network?

Question How do you find all the IP addresses of your home network?

As per the thread title, is there any command I can run at the command-prompt, or any free application I can run within Windoze to show me all the names and IP addresses of the machines on my home network?

I manually assign IP addresses to the machines, to control which machine has access to the net. Basically by not using DHCP and not typing in a gateway address at all, the machines setup like this, can see the internal home network, can see each other, but cannot see the Internet - exactly how I want it.

BUT, as I am throwing out IP addresses whenever I need them, and have not written them down, and, frankly, am too lazy to ipconfig on each of the machines then write it down, I thought there might be a way of easily doing that from one machine.

...yes, i'm very lazy...
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

How I would do it is simply choose a limited range scheme for each type of device on the network.
    For instance:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.100 to .110 for PCs
    xxx.xxx.xxx.050 to .060 for printers
    xxx.xxx.xxx.001 to .005 for servers

Once you have your limited ranges you can ping to determine the actual address used.

Or simply label each device with the IP address and the name with a labelmaker.
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 10-21-2009 at 03:09 AM.

At a cmd prompt you can use

arp -a

That will give you IP's and MAC's but no names. Note that it will also list any machines you are connected to on the internet at that time, so don't freak out is you see an IP listed that you don't recognize. You can then run

tracert IP

and it will give you the machine name of that IP. You will have to run tracert for each IP so it will be a little work. May or may not be easier than going to each machine and simply looking at the IP address.

Another way is to use Wireshark, while you have it capturing network activity go into your network and connect to a machine and you will be able to see the IP that it is connecting to.

There are tools out there that do what you want and more, but they are more along the lines of hacker tools so they don't get mentioned out in the open too often.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

That works pretty good Paul.

It's a handy tool alright but it bugs me how it resolves the LAN IP addresses to Computer Names. It seems likely to be querying the DNS Server(s) as outlined in one's ipconfig command output but don't know how. It's not querying the hosts file because, in my own case, the file has no entries. There are C and C++ functions that can query DNS Servers with calls such as getnameinfo but I wonder if there is a straightforward console command that can retrieve the same information. Or else maybe some way to broadcast something to each collected live IP address that will get that Computer to reply with its own Name. On my own network just now with Puppy Linux running on one PC its IP is listed correctly but it just shows N/A for the name resolution. I don't know if that implies that the other WinXP and Win2K boxes are using WINS.

Can anyone throw any light on this aspect?
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I can't get it to work at all - double-click the exe, and nothing happens, no window opens - nothing happens...

EDIT: No Java - installing now, and maybe it will then...
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

I use the stable version and haven't tried the beta.

Java installed, and it works now - neat!

Tells me everything i wanted to know - thanks.

The beta didn't run for me on vista either. The stable version is fine though. Works good and not a hacker tool.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information