Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: graphics card

Post graphics card

Is there a program out there which you can use to see what graphics card you have without opening up the laptop??

Guessing you're using Win98... WinME should be much the same:

Right-click on desktop
    Select Properties
    Click Advanced button
    Select Adapter tab at top

Your graphics adapter is displayed here.

------------------
    sleddog
    [sleddog.f2s.com]

If your using ME its pretty much the same but after Properties click settings then advanced> adapter.

------------------

You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

That way doesn't actually show what card you're using does it? I had to re-install win98 2nd edition and didn't note down my drivers. Now every driver I try says that it's not that type and it won't let me out of VGA mode! I know it's an 8MD video card with 3d stuff and thought it was a trident but that doesn't work! I also know that it works as before i reinstalled windows i had a much higher resolution...
    That's why i was asking whether the only sure fire way of know what it is is to open it up or is there a program out there that would be able to tell me.
    I's a laptop so I'm fairly relunctant to open it up.

I'd go to the manufacturer's website and do some rummaging in the support section. Chances are that you will find the laptop model, with components identified, and find the correct video driver for download.

------------------
    sleddog
    [sleddog.f2s.com]

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Actually, the info so far should give you what you need, since you don't have a graphics "card" as such, but a chip, which is what the Properties > Adapter procedure identifies. Select the tab at the top of the Adapter screen marked Driver, and then click on Driver File Details.
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson

Exclamation

OR, you could just go to Start/Run and type the following:

hwinfo_/ui

Use a space in place of the underscore. Once the Hardware Info Utility for Windows has opened, go down the page until you see Class: Display. The first line under that should list the manufacturer of your video card.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

------------------
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest. hehehehe, Huh?!
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Thumbs up

BB_66!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all I can say is WoW, you have done it agin.. I learned a new one, THANKS!

------------------
    **puff**.. "Put that thing out boy.. the Sheriff's a comin'!!"

Thread Information