Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: dvd rom & DMA

Angry dvd rom & DMA

arrrgggghhh!!! I know pretty much everyone has gone through this but I can't find a solution to my dilemma. Specs: P3-500, Abit BE6-II rev 1.2 mobo, pioneer dvd 115, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB WD HD, Win 98 SE, MSI GF2 GTS PRO vid card... So obviously I can't get DMA mode enabled - I have 4 ide channels 2 run by HPT 370 UDMA 66 non RAID, and 2 UDMA 33. The chipset on this mobo is Intel 440 BX (82443BX and 82371EB) so via driver solutions won't work(?). So far, I've tried it on all the ide channels; I can't get HPT bios (I've got bios ver .95b and I have no idea how to update that) to change mode because it's satisfied just calling it an atapi device and on the non hpt channels the award bios only lets my enable or disable dma mode, only pio can be manually configured. Now, in win 98 I can check the box for dma to my hearts content but it never remains checked after countless reboots. This drives me crazy, please help me!!

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Can you DMA-enable the HD successfully? Sorry, not familiar with "HPT" -- is that a separate PCI controller card? Is the Award BIOS flashed with the latest revision?
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson

Cool

I disabled soundblaster emulation for my soundcard in windoze, and voila dma mode enabled. Weird, thanx for responding though

Thread Information