Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Better way to use 2TB hard drive

Better way to use 2TB hard drive

I got a 2 TB external drive with eSATA and USB connection. I will use eSATA for faster speed. It's preformatted as NTFS system and I will keep that. I mainly use it to store large RAW files from DSLR camera and video files.

What's the good and better way to use a 2TB drive? Use it as a single drive or partition it into a few drives? I want to find a balance between performance and try to be safer in case the drive fail in the future. I think people who have use large disks have better ideas.

And I may buy a 2 TB internal drive, too.

All drives fail. You need a backup. My advice would be to get a 2 TB drive for inside your PC and use the 2TB external for backup. Partitioning will not help you if the drive fails....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

I never really understood partitioning...

no point to partition a storage drive
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

Partitioning is a matter of choice and there are all sorts of strategies for all sorts of uses. Sometimes it can be worth just leaving say 10% of unused space at the end of a drive just in case you need to enlarge a single partition or create a partition in it at a later stage.

If there is going to be important data that will hurt you if lost then, as intimated, backup of those essentials is a must. I personally would probably run two identical 2TB drives as a RAID-1 mirror. Perhaps not as good as a complete backup onto a second removable drive that can be put in a secure location or to a second PC somewhere else but has the advantage of creating a seamless duplicate all the time; a duplicate of course that would also be affected by theft, viruses, accidental deletion because it is a duplicate and not a proper backup.

Two considerations when dealing with large drives is that (a) running housekeeping operations such as chkdsk, defrag and malware scans can take prodigious amounts of time on large partitions and (b) that if data recovery software is ever needed one will need to obtain a hard drive at least as as big as the partition that one is trying to recover data from.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

How to partition your drive or choosing not to is really personal reference. There are good reason to partition as Paul mentioned, as well as multi booting, organization of file types, and keeping regular data away from the OS partition in order to make backing up of the OS easy and quick. And on and on....
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information