Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Installing Network Printer

Post Installing Network Printer

I am helping a friend who has a small copy company to expand his network printer options. He has a MAC and a Windows 98 PC(Compac) networked together. Maclan is installed on the Windows PC and a PostScript printer is physically installed on the MAC. I can see the PostScript from the Win 98 PC in Networking under Entire Network.

Here is the problem: I'm not sure what to at the Win 98 PC in order to be able to print to the postscript printer located at the MAC PC from his Win 98 PC. He has the install diskettes for the PostScipt printer and we installed it on the Win 98 PC with a Setup.exe command but that was incorrect because there is no local postscipt printer on the LPT1 port - it is on the Network and attached to the MAC. When I go to Entire Network from the Win 98 PC and see the PostScript printer on the MAC and right click, I can click Install. This would seem to be the correct way to install the network printer on the Win 98 PC but the install comes up then with the typical printer screen where the vendor is on the left and when I select the manufacturer the correct printer name and model doesn't appear on the right. It appears to be expecting a network printer driver for the PostScript printer that is physically installed on the MAC.
    Is there a way to get a network printer driver installed on the Win 98 PC so the network printer install will see it or what is the procedure?

Double Post
    TIP FOR FUTURE POSTING:
    Posting to more thatn one category with the same problem will not result in more/faster/better answers and may result in confusion for all......

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information