Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hard drive letters

Post Hard drive letters

I added a new hard drive and made the new one the master and it all work's
    but i don't know to give them there own drive letter's like C and D and make
    my CD-ROM E with out looseing everything on my hard drve

errr ummmmmm.............the f*** you say? hehe...........k heres the thing ummmmm you need to keep your "Old HDD" the master and make the new one the slave and as far as Drive letters windows will do that for you
    Good Luck!
    Read the information. If you have problems understanding the information, read it again. Repeat until enlightenment is achieved.

Blog Entries

The new drive should have come with installation software. If it didn't, download it from the manufacturer's website. Leave the new drive as Master, it's probably a larger and possibly faster drive, and I would put the older drive on Secondary IDE as well, if that's the case. Run the installaton software and it will install the drive, set up partitions, and transfer data including working Operating System to the new drive. The installation program, or fdisk if you want to do it that way, and Windows will take care of drive letter assignments. Those are assigned by the computer according to the number of hard drives, their positions on the IDE channels, and the number of partitions created.

The only drawback with fdisk is that it won't transfer the data from the old drive to the new one, that's the main advantage of the installation software. You can also partition the new drive using fdisk and then run the installation software to transfer data.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

err pete? can you run the OS from a slave drive? curious......Didnt think you could...but maybe you can....if so please explain thanks....maybe changing your cfg to d:\windows instead of c:\windows but im not sure if shaunywhite would know how to do that.......and it seems like hes not too interested in formatting his old drive and wants to keep his OS etc intact......perhaps I misunderstand
    Read the information. If you have problems understanding the information, read it again. Repeat until enlightenment is achieved.

Perhaps there is hope for AwARe after all pete?
    Or Maybe Not hahaha

Shaunywhite,

From your original post I suspect that you have installed a new HDD, made it the master drive, and then after you did that, it became your C drive and your computer will no longer boot into windows...

Your question I believed was directed towards trying to find a way to change your old hard drive back to C drive.....

You cannot assign the C drive designation back to that drive....

Your Primary Master Hard Drive is automatically designated C:\

If you want to make the new drive the master, then you will need to at the very least, transfer your OS to that drive.....(The util that came with your HDD can help with that)

I thought by telling you to simply make your new drive the slave this would "solve all your problems in one stroke"

If I am mistaken and your problem is related to your new drive not being recognized properly by windows, then you may need to run the HDD utility that came with your Hard Drive. (This is in the case that your BIOS does not support or properly report the size of your new drive)

Also as pete stated the new drive is most likely much faster and is probably a good idea to use it instead of your old drive if you can get all that figured out................

Maybe "It Is" better to go through a bunch of complicated steps then it is to fix something in a simple manner haha.........I believe that if you wanted to use your new HDD instead of the old one because you thought it was faster, you would have asked that....and in fact most likely would have come back later to do just that (if it really mattered)...........but hey who am I............

I think Im Outa here to a place where the solution doesnt cause 10 more problems! hahahahahahaha
    Me thinks people that ask simple questions, need simple answers
    not a Tech book thrown at them......but again who am I
    Good Luck ! Mr Pete

PS this IS NOT meant as a personal attack, simply a realization that maybe you were correct and I belong here not! Mr Pete......

I tried but alas I guess I have failed such is life........ Latez

Blog Entries

OK, let me explain my post a bit better. If you re-read it you'll find that it is actually very simple. The new drive is already set up as Master, and the old one Slave, so all that needs to be done is run the installation software that came with the new drive to transfer the data to it from the old one, which will also transfer a working OS. No tech books to throw there, just run the installation software.

It can also be done by running fdisk first to set up the new drive, then the installation software to only transfer data. Whichever is more appropriate.

If the new drive is much faster than the older one, I would also set the older one up on secondary IDE. That's mostly a matter of preference.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information