Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: new partition

new partition

Hello All,
    I have a 150 gig hdd partitioned as;C=30 gig,E=70 Gig,G=50 gig,approx.
    XP SP3 is on C: with most of the applications.The G part has just been created and I would like to move all of the stuff off E onto G and use it like normal.Will I have to put an operating system on it to work and what is the easiest way to transfer this stuff.Would be like having a guest account but I didn't want to do that but maybe it would be the wisest way to go?
    Thanks for any help.

Just one operating system on C: is fine. You format the new partition if it hasn't been done already, that's about it. Remember, when transferring files from one location to another always use Copy and Paste. Once you confirm the transfer, you can delete the originals if desired. Cut and paste is dangerous to do if you get a blue screen, freeze-up, reboot etc.

I like to copy paste small chunks of data rather than whole partitions also. Basically a few gigs at a time.

I don't understand the need to move the data on E to G. Perhaps you could elaborate because with the talk about guest accounts, etc, it sounds like you want to achieve something specific.

Also - how did you "create" the G part?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks Paul,I created the G partition with partition magic.
    The idea of moving al the stuff to G is that I would have all my stuff in one place and leave the C drive for other people as this is the only PC in the house.I presume that when anybody else starts the machine it would start up with the C drive and I would not have to worry about my stuff being hurt.Then when I used it I could enter G drive through my computer or some way.
    I should explain that I just like fiddling and have learnt a lot here and just thought this would be a good way to keep things separate.
    Thanks.

PM will have created a formatted partition and that's just fine but what are you intending to use the 70 gig E partition for after you move the data from it to G.

If you just want two partitions and to use the whole drive with an OS (on C) and another data partition there would be nothing to stop you from deleting the empty G partition you just created and then resizing the E partition from 70 to 120 gig. You could even move/slide E to the end of the drive and then enlarge C to occupy the unallocated space - then lying between C and E.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

LO Paul,I was just going to put all my old stuff on G and start new stuff or others stuff on E.If I combine E and G I go back to where I was.First I was going to put a Linux OS on G but then I thought if it could all be worked from the XP on C,why not use it.I already have ubuntu on a separate hdd.
    This is my learning bit,I'm an old stockman from Queensland and this is a bit easier than mustering camps and droving.By the way you are up early too.

First I was going to put a Linux OS on G but then I thought if it could all be worked from the XP on C,why not use it.I already have ubuntu on a separate hdd.
    To be pedantic you don't normally even consider installing Linux on partitions maked with drive letters for access by Windows. If you want them as "Linux" partitions leave the space unallocated for now until you are ready for a Linux OS to prepare them for an installation. It doesn"t matter whether that unallocated space is at the beginning or at the start or in the middle of a drive.

For partitioning strategies generally maybe read the radified guide.

Thanks Paul,
    I have had a quick read of the radified guide and think it explains all of what I need and more but I don't think i will go as far as 10 partitions as given in a example of his.
    I have copied and pasted some things from E to G as suggested by FTT ok and also drag/dropped some.At present I have;
    C = 30 gig XP sp3 and most applications
    E = 70 gig all my stuff
    G = 50 gig stuff I want to keep separate, drawings,plans, etc.
    F = 20 gig hdd from old computer on secondary ide for storage
    ubuntu on hdd first on primary ide which I use for general stuff ,skype
    By the way,I wasn't game to try it but what would happen if I just dragged E and dropped it on G in MY Computer? Nothing? Big stuff up?
    Once again thanks for all the help,been great,
    wombil.

If you drag-n-drop one drive letter to another in My Computer you will create a shortcut back to the dragged-from drive inside the dropped-into drive; that's all.

If you were to rightbutton drag-n-drop then you get an option to copy the partition or to create a shortcut. If you take the copy option then the whole of the drive will be copied into a new folder with the same name as that of the drive copied from. This would only complete OK if there is not an excess of data and as long as you are copying no files too large for the format of the destination partition.

Thanks Mate,I think I'm at where I want to be on this so I'll call this issue complete.

Thread Information