Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Incorrect time display

Incorrect time display

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. I have it set for the correct time and for my time zone. Where the time is displayed in the system tray, about every couple of days it reverts back about three hours. I can re-set it to the correct time but then in a day or two it does the same thing. I need to constantly change it to the correct time. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No One Stands So Tall As When They Stoop To Help A Child.
    Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.
    ~Author unknown~

is the time shown correctly in the BIOS? my first thought would be to change the bios battery usually a CR2032 coin cell
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

I checked my BIOS just now when the time shown in the system tray was incorrect; and yes, it also showed the incorrect time in the BIOS which is alway 2 hours behind time. I made sure I had the time zone set correct and it is. When you mentioned the BIOS, it jogged my memory and I remember reading that if the time on the clock is not accurate, it could be a week battery. However, this computer is fairly new. I just bought it this past January. So one would think that the battery should be alright. But perhaps it's not. Do you think that even though my computer is only 6 months old, it could still be a week battery?
    Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.
    ~Author unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by david eaton View Post
    the bios battery usually a CR2032 coin cell
    That is correct. I took the back off and looked at the battery and it is a CR2032. Concerning replacing the battery, am I correct in my understanding that if the battery is removed for more that a few minutes, it could mess up all the settings in the BIOS? It's been quite some time ago when I heard that, but maybe it isn't so on the newer systems.
    ~Author unknown~

The battery may have been manufactured much earlier than the date the PC was assembled, so it is possible to have a problem with the battery holding the settings even though the PC is not all that old. Strange things happen with inventory turnover on commodity parts.

Yep--I think you guys are right. The incorrect time on the clock is happening more often. I'm going to buy another battery. When I looked at the mother board, it didn't look like it would be too much of a job to remove the battery and replace it with another. How would you go about it so that the BIOS isn't screwed up? That's the only thing that's got me worried. I haven't made any changes to the BIOS since I bought the computer, so would it work if after putting in the new battery, I get back into the BIOS and put it back to the default setting?
    ~Author unknown~

It will revert back to the default settings, you will have to set your default time for Ohio or GMT, your choice.

I NEVER set my timezone [in Puppy Linux] to GMT+0, but instead to Europe/London.
    That way it automatically takes account of "Daylight Saving Time", so the time is always correct.

Then I use Puppy->Psync to syncronize the time to the milli-second using a set of available servers on the web.
    Did it just now, and "offset was 0.394614 sec".

Fancy trying [your regions version of] that?

I replaced the battery and everything is working fine. Thanks for your help.
    ~Author unknown~

Glad it worked OK without forcing a change to London/EU time.

Last edited by PrntRhd; 07-27-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thread Information