Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Error durring Boot up

Error durring Boot up

This PC is driving me nut's because after the HP Screen, it act's like it's going to boot Ubuntu 10.4, but this message below pop's up so fast that I can't read it and then shuts down immediately. I thought maybe it was a PSU problem before, so I yanked out the Video Capture PCI, SATA PCI, and DVD burner so there was nothing extra pulling the power. Then I shot a video of the monitor and that's when I was able to pause it to read this message. It's still doing it, so surely it's not the PSU.

HP Pavilion a1700n
    3800+ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
    1024MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE
    PSU is 300W

Originally a 250GB HDD, but original owner kept it and I'm trying to install a 500GB Western Digital SATA/ 16MB Cache WD5000AACS. There was nothing wrong with the machine, but they built a new PC and used the HDD for the new one.

[ 12.5017501 nForce2_smbus 0000:00:0a.1: Error problm

Basically you have two choices...try a different distro or try to add some kernel parameters through grub.

Adding "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" seems to fix the problem...sometimes. Also updating the kernel may help...if the kernel is built specific for the machine.

It seems to be a bug with kernel drivers.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I loaded Ubuntu on a different tower because I couldn't get this one to stay on through the installation. It's doing the same thing with a different HDD while I was waiting for a reply, so I guess I'm having doubt's that the Kernel is the problem and I'm leaning more toward's a different hardware problem. Problem is, I don't know what it is.

I stuck an old 40GB HDD in and tried booting from a install CD and after selecting the Language, monitor turned off, but all of the fan's seem to still be working.

It's a kernel driver problem/acknowledged Ubuntu bug.

There is a chance that smbus has gone south...small, but there. That would make it a motherboard problem.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

I'm still new to Ubuntu, admittedly, but it work's fine on one tower while two different Hard Drives failed on the tower I'm trying to work on.

I can't find any info on actually fixing smbus, so does that need to be replaced if that was the problem?

You said the Kernel but it boot's on a different tower fine. So would I change the kernel with the PC it's booting on or would it booting rule out the Ubuntu?

As far as hardware, and I know it doesnt belong here, but I hate to start another topic there, I ruled out the PSU, reset ram & even checked them independently for failure, all lights & fan's in the tower stay on, the busy button blinks every once in awhile like it's working, but the monitor will switch off before it boots. The monitor isn't the problem either because it has been checked with other PC's and I have tried other monitor's; same issue. I ruled out the HDD because it boots on a PC that I know works and I switched in an older 40GB and it did the same thing.

The kernel is loading a driver version that is not compatible with the HP that isn't booting. It is very likely that the driver is built into the kernel (at least that is the impression I received reading over the posts on the Ubuntu boards on similar problems), so yes, that kernel could work perfectly fine on other hardware.

So it is either build a custom kernel or run the latest kernel from the Ubuntu repository...both of which should probably be done on the HP, but since it isn't working that isn't really an option.

Trying the Grub boot parameter should be the first thing to do, though...and that should be able to be done BEFORE the error hits.

I have to bow my head to you, sir, because I was so damn convinced that it was hardware, but I threw in my XP drive in it and it booted up on the HP. I'm glad I was wrong, but embarrased

Anyways, I've done a lot of research over the last few days and I'm going to give it a shot when I get home, so I'll check back in.

Again, thank you for not going off when you knew I was wrong the whole time. ~Dforgy

Thread Information