Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PSU troubles

PSU troubles

Hello, hope you guys can help me.

I'm running a custom built machine, (parts list to follow)
    A couple of weeks ago I was just tooling around, playing Civ 5, when suddenly my computer just shut down entirely. Attempting to turn it back on produced a power light on the mobo, but nothing else. So I brought my machine down to Best Buy and they tested the PSU and told me it had burned out somehow. So I ordered a new 720W Pc Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II powersupply. Got it and installed it and the computer booted fine, but the Hard drives wouldn't respond... So I ordered a new Western Digital hard drive, installed it and everything started up normally.

Today after installing windows and all of my other software I was feeling pretty good about it. I reinstalled Civ 5 and started it up and it started, but I wasn't getting sound. I tried plugging my speakers in a few different configurations, but it still wasn't coming in. So I tried plugging them into the front pannel to see what would happen. What happened it that the whole computer shut down again. I tried turning it on and the fans and all lights came up, but it wasn't booting. I couldn't get it to turn off again so I switched the power off on the power supply itself. Now I'm back to square one. When I power it on the power light comes on on the mobo, but nothing else. Upon openning the box up again I found that I had mistakenly plugged both the AC '97 and the HD audio boxes into the motherboard at the same time. Could this have killed the Mobo? If not is there something else that might have happened?

My specs
    Mobo: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe with WiFi
    Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GT
    Power Supply: 720 Watt PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II

Could be heat related the newer computers will shut themselves off, are you sure all fans were operational specially the CPU fan. Did you put the CPU on the board yourself? If you did are you sure it's seated right and that you used good quality thermal paste? Have you tried unplugging each of the audio cables and rebooting? I'm no expert for sure but imho it sounds to me like the mobo is cooked. I"d wait tho for more experienced people to drop by and add their input.

Yeah it's seated right and I haven't removed it since I originally pasted it over 2 years ago. I removed all of the extraneous connections, but at this point the damage is done. When I power it up the power light comes on on the mobo, but pressing the power button yields no response. Case fans won't even come on at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavriel View Post
    Yeah it's seated right and I haven't removed it since I originally pasted it over 2 years ago. I removed all of the extraneous connections, but at this point the damage is done. When I power it up the power light comes on on the mobo, but pressing the power button yields no response. Case fans won't even come on at this point.
    Are u sure for that??

Thread Information