Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: 0x81000202

0x81000202

The following programs are on the blink: System Restore (Volume Shadow Copy used by System Restore is not working. For more info see the event log 0x81000202), Cannot run nor reinstall iTunes (Windows error 998), Microsoft Fix It Center (Failed to get troubleshooter catalog. ErrorMatsGetSapCatalog failed. Fix It Center encountered an error. Please close and try to run Setup again later.), HP UPdate download and install HP Update Software Utility program was a proposed solution, but the hpusetup.exe could not be installed (The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. contact your Support Personnel for assistance.).

From googling the error code, it appears I am not the only one experiencing this problem, but no one has yet posted that they have found a solution. As so many are experiencing this problem, you'd think Microsoft would have come up with a solution to this/these problems by now.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit Operating System. Model SR5710Y. A speedy reply will be greatly appreciated.

You seem to have not one but many problems occurring and that begs the question of just why. You could help a bit more by saying what you specifically do or are doing when these messages appear.

Can you boot into Safe Mode and can you run a System Restore from there?

There are also some Advanced Options including Last Known Good Configuration that could be worth trying.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Have you scanned your machine for malware and, if so, has anything come up? When a whole multitude of things start going wrong around the same time, it certainly makes me suspicious of foul play.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Have scanned, no negative results. Will try the System Restore in Safe Mode as well as the Last Known Good Configuration and get back later this afternoon.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was interned in the hospital for two days and was just discharged today.

Neither running System Restore in Safe Mode nor the Last Known Good Configuration remedied the problem. Strangely, when I turned on the PC after getting back, up popped an update notice for iTunes. Ran it and it installed it. Moreover, the System Restore is now working! Wish I could say that I fixed it, but the truth is I don't know what I or the PC did to remedy those two problems. After running Last Known Good Config and Sys Restore in safe mode I didn't do anything but turn off the PC.

However, I still cannot get Microsoft Fix It Center or HP Update to work right. And Microsoft Security Essentials will not update. Will now make another stab with System Restore and see if that fixes anything.
    Last edited by hess303; 12-03-2010 at 03:37 AM.

However, I still cannot get Microsoft Fix It Center or HP Update to work right. And Microsoft Security Essentials will not update.
    It's conceivable that a firewall could be blocking such web-based actions so perhaps turn any off temporarily and see if that makes any difference.

Also do you actually need this trio?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Temporarily turned off firewall. No difference. I use each independently and sporadically. Have found sometimes one of these will remedy an existing problem. They are never all running at the same time, except for MSE which is constant.

I could be wrong but these kinds of sporadic issues speaks of hardware problems. Either a drive heading south or bad ram. More likely the drive in my opinion.

I would run Memtest and hard drive diagnostics.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Ran Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool. The quick scan's test result said "Pass". Nevertheless, in the drive's properties dialog box it reads, Health Status - Warning. I'm lost. Pass the diagnostic test but get a "Warning"? What is that about? Can anyone help with the "Warning" reading?

Will now run an extended test on the drive - which will likely take several hours to complete. Will get back upon completion with test results.

How do I work with the Memtest? Have no idea what it is I am to do. Clear and specific instructions on working with the Memtest would be of great help.

A speedy reply will be greatly appreciated.

Ran an extended test with Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool and test results do no indicate any problems.

Thread Information