Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PC power supply as 12V source?

Question PC power supply as 12V source?

Hi there,

I am trying to use the PC power supply as a source of 12V supply, for I need its high current (about 8A). However, all the PC PSs I could come by didn't give me the 12V. The highest goes up to 11.5V which is not enough to power my stuff. I was wondering whether all PC PSs are like this (providing lower than 12V voltage) or I am just unlucky?

Thanks a lot.

ET

Blog Entries

Power supply voltage range is:

Yellow +12V = +8.5V - +12.6V
    Blue -12V = -8.5V - -12.6V
    Red +5V = +2.4V - +5.2V
    White -5V = -4.5V - -5.4V

So the voltages you saw on the power supplies you checked were within acceptible operating range, while actually lower than the 12V it's usually referred to.

------------------
    YOU! Out of the gene pool!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information