Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Where's my second serial port?

Question Where's my second serial port?

I've only got one 9 pin serial port sticking out of the back of the case. The Mobo manual says this K7VMA has two. Where's that other one and how do I hook it up? No, nothing in the manual. Weird huh? ECS support? Not in two weeks.
    peace and thanks
    A man persuaded against his will, is of his old opinion still.

In the recent past most machines have been coming with only one port hooked up...the other is there but in the form of a header on thee MOBO, you need to look at the currently unused connections and locate the port header (or look in the manual at the layout diagrams....), acquire the proper cable/connector (basically the right pin out and length) and then attach it.

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Wink

Thanks MJC,
    I've missed your posts lately. Have you been out of town?
    Um, 'can't find any open pins for the serial port on the mobo. The manual says, "The mainboard has a full set of I/O ports, such as,....,two FIFO serial port connectors,... and then on another page it says, "The I/O template on the backplane includes,....,two serial ports,..."
    Well, that's bullhonky, there's only one serial port sticking out of the backplate. There is a five pin interface on the mobo (the 4th pin is not there) that is designed as the serial infrared port connector for wireless exchange of info. but I'm not interested in using that thing (I don't have any infrared,devices). Could that five pin thing be the other FIFO serial port connector that the manual refers to?
    Thanks again.

Nim,

Been pouring over that manual and any pic I can find, I was thinking of using that board for someone, the only thing I can find is an unlabeled 10 pin connector on the far right in the pic on the ECS site...read several reviews..no mention of it anywhere, other than it has two...

------------------
    mjc

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Question

Have to agree with mjc, i've been looking over that manual and though it states two serial ports are evident-can't find a side on pic to verify. On most mobo's your serial ports would be beside your printer port. You say this is not the case? Hmm, well maybe there is a differnt revision to this board, and you've got one of those.

------------------
    iisbob
    "Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

Question

Buggers! Thanks for taking more time on this fellas. Sheesh, I'm so sure, you both went to the ECS site and looked at my mobo?
    MJC, FYI, I've found this board to be pretty good, until this. I may have to go USB or PCI slot for my peripherals. OH well. Be sure to get the updated BIOS and new drivers for a system that you would make for someone. ECS seems to stress getting the updates. I noticed a few positive differences, not worth noting.
    iisbob, do you suppose the folks that have been writing reviews on this mobo have just been copying others "findings"? This isn't that complicated ya know. It either has two Serial I/O ports or not. This board has one, next to the printer port just like you said. The two USB ports are just above it and the video port is directly beneath it. No room for a second one. Maybe these guys at ECS were smoking something in the 70s?

MJC,
    one more thing, FYI that 10 pin connector on the right side of the mobo is for a couple more USB devices, if one is so inclined. Of course that's what the manual says, the same manual that says this board has two serial ports.

Take a look here

------------------
    mjc

Gun Control...hitting what you aim at!

Lightbulb

Yeh, it wouldn't be the first time a company took liberties with there paperwork nim, no names here cough PCChips , because on the .pdf manual i downloaded for that board it clearly shows 2 serial ports beside the printer port, like a normal board-heck, even the PC Chips board i put in my work machine has that correct.

MJC, i looked at that pic, good job pointing out the serial port connectors, but man!! My pop-up program sounded like it was going beserk! Then i checked the link and so it was a fortune city url, that explains it!!

------------------
    iisbob
    "Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."

[This message has been edited by iisbob (edited 07-28-2001).]
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

iisbob...yeah I know when I started using fortune city they only popped up one or two...now

------------------
    mjc

Thumbs up

MJC and iisbob,
    I looked at that picture you sent me and the place that you circled,MJC, how did you do that, for starters, and then, guess what? That area that you circled doesn't have any pins sticking out but does have 9 little dots of solder (stangely about the size layout for a 9 pin serial port)and in tiny white letters it says Com 2. .... You are the "dude!" That's it isn't it?!!!! Of course it's useless to me. I have a propane torch and an old soldering iron. I bet I could trash my system in the time it takes me to fire either of those guys up. eh? What do you suppose a local shop would charge me to solder a 9 pin adapter on that thing?

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

More than its worth...the board is what about $60 (max).

I used paint to just circle and add the text to the pic...my paint can open jpg too.

------------------
    mjc

Yeah, buggers! I went to a little local repair shop he smiled and said, "nah, wouldn't even bother.' Then he tried to sell me a PCI serial port card for $20.00. I've got one upstairs. I forgot there was such a thing. Duh!
    Maybe an email or two to the outfit I bought this from is in order.

MJC, btw, I've enjoyed reading your posts in that rambling thread in the after hours forum. I don't want to enter in too much there, not much to add after all, most positions seem pretty firm,...but, sure would enjoy talking /emailing with you personally. You come off more mature....I don't know maybe there's a better word (don't want to say others are immature)just. My email is above, 'will understand if you think it unwise to give me yours.

Oh and iisbob,...boy....you're scary! lol. shot at others and been shot at? what kind of ...what did you...dude? All I know, is after reading most of those posts, I know I don't want to do any breaking and entering at those guys' places. sheeesh!

Talking

i used to work for uncle sam nim; believe me-it's highly overrrated! I respect those who still wear the uniform, but i had enough in just the few years i was in to know i never want to go to a big war! Glory is highly overrated!!

------------------
    iisbob

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    iisbob

Thread Information