Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: beeps but no boot

beeps but no boot

A friend gave me his HP Media Center PC m7000 to look at because it won't boot. It powers up OK, fans start, power lights come on, HDD spins, but I have no video output and hear a steady beep...beep...beep...beep.

I stuck an old PCI video card in and plugged the monitor into it with the same result. Ditto a PCI-e card in the PCI-e slot. No video output whatsoever, and the steady beeps.

I took the battery out and replaced it and it made no difference.

Where do I start troubleshooting this problem?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    A friend gave me his HP Media Center PC m7000 to look at because it won't boot. It powers up OK, fans start, power lights come on, HDD spins, but I have no video output and hear a steady beep...beep...beep...beep.
    Depending on the BIOS type, this could signify RAM error. Reseat the ram sticks; if it doesn't help, try a known-good RAM.

Other thing that comes to my mind is that the processor is overclocked to high hell and won't start up.

Removing the battery doesn't really clear CMOS in most cases, you need to find a "clear cmos" jumper to do the job right.

I stuck an old PCI video card in and plugged the monitor into it with the same result.
    Was there a video card in the PC when this error first occurred or was the video on board?

How many beeps? and what make/model of PC or motherboard?

Just about any errors can be RAM related so does removing all the RAM or only running with one RAM stick cause any difference to the error beeps?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

The RAM was the culprit. Thanks so much for your help.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    The RAM was the culprit. Thanks so much for your help.
    Glad we could help you out.

Thread Information