Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Proxy cache will not clear

Proxy cache will not clear

I used an automatic config proxy script url to access my work network from home.

Now whenever I try to open IE it asks for these squid proxy credentials no matter what I try to do such as unchecking the proxy settings "auto detect" and "use config script" in IE.

I've also tried to follow these instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271361 but I don't have a reg key called

EnableAutoProxyResultCache"=dword:00000000

in either the policies or internet settings parts of the registry.

Please help

lib

Quote Originally Posted by lib319 View Post
    I used an automatic config proxy script url to access my work network from home.

Now whenever I try to open IE it asks for these squid proxy credentials no matter what I try to do such as unchecking the proxy settings "auto detect" and "use config script" in IE.

I've also tried to follow these instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271361 but I don't have a reg key called

EnableAutoProxyResultCache"=dword:00000000

in either the policies or internet settings parts of the registry.

Please help

lib
    ok managed to add the reg key as per the ms kb article in policies but it makes no difference. IE still asks for squid proxy credentials

Check with IT at work to make sure they haven't changed anything on that end.

Then make sure your system's time and date are both correct and accurate.

Generally, any kind of login problem like this should start with those two checks.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks for that.

No change at the work end and time and date seem to be ok. I found a similar instance of this problem here about half way down the page which seems to sum up my problem also.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x8024402c.html

# TWO

This 0x8024402C error was driving me nuts.

One thing that was absolutely bizzarre to me, is that in the log, not only as many ppl are seeing, is there reference to an attempted connection by proxy (when ie connection settings are not set to proxy) BUT the hostname of the proxy matched the hostname that my server was set to about a month ago (not the current hostname, and there was never a proxy anyway!) This particular machine was also never previously connected to this server! My only guess is that MS is somehow and for some reason keeping some sort of dated reverse DNS log and directing windows update to use a proxy on that host.

Now for the good part (after a full day wasted.) To resolve the issue, I set ie to actually use a proxy (one of the free open ones) and put the exception list in.

Windows update then worked.

I removed the proxy settings, and it worked again.

0x8024402C problem solved. I hope. Still curious about the cause!
    I'd like to try this method but I'm not clear on how to apply new proxy settings to IE, all the free open proxies I google are just websites with a box for typing in a url.

Is there an available auto config script anywhere I could try in IE's proxy settings and then remove as per the quote?

This problem is driving me mad, I tried this to clear the cache

1. Click on Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type cmd in the Open box to get a DOS prompt.
    3. Type proxycfg -d at the command prompt, and press Enter.

but the old settings still come back to haunt me whenever I try to open IE.

update***

ok I just added in a random character to the auto config script I use for accessing the works network from home, restarted IE and it again asked me for the usual credentials. Restarted again after unchecking the auto config script box and IE is now not asking for credentials to access the proxy.

Solved!!! (I hope, unless it reverts back after reboot)

I wonder if IE is still looking to connect through the last specified proxy but because it isn't a real one (I added a character) it is reverting to a regular direct internet connection?

I haven't willingly used IE for about 9 years...so, we're going to have to wait for someone with a little more recent IE expertise to drop in to discuss the specifics...(using Firefox since before it actually was Firefox and had fractional version numbers).
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

I hardly ever use it. I leave IE to my girlfriend, keeps her out of my Firefox profile. IE 8 seems slower than ever at opening tabs. Didn't FF used to be Netscape?

No, it was being developed as the next edition of Netscape, but someone bought out Netscape and they forked browser development...the original line died. One branch of the fork became Mozilla and the other became Firefox...with a few twists and turns, in there...

Thread Information