Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Whats the difference in Win7 versions?

Question Whats the difference in Win7 versions?

As per thread title, what actually are the major differences between all the different versions?

I would also like to know what the difference is between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions - is it just that the 64-bit version can handle huge RAM and HDD volumes, or are there other advantages to the 64-bit versions?
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mpare?T1=tab20

The Starter version you would likely never see unless you were in a developing country.
    Home premium is ok for home users.
    Pro allows joining Domains for business, encrypted drives, granulated network file sharing and backups on a network, Remote Desktop, and Windows XP mode.
    Ultimate allows 35 languages, bit locker security.

You can do Live Upgrades within 32 bit offerings and within 64 bit offerings to any version. Just pay MS for the correct license application and they give you the code for that version.
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 08-18-2011 at 12:03 AM.

The Starter version you would likely never see unless you were in a developing country.
    I have seen some sort of Starter edition on Netbooks. There is supposed to be some limitation as to the number of applications that can run simultaneously on that version but the last one that went through my hands and which was a Samsung bought via Amazon.co.uk (noting that I bumped up the RAM from 1 to 2 GB) seemed to run multiple apps perfectly OK.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I've seen Started on some Dell netbooks as well
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Yeah, starter is on all the netbooks available here in NZ too.(the cheaper ones)
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

I don't know why home users would go for anything more than the Home Premium version. After all, how many people use the added features in the other versions?
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

There is also a difference in MS support time for different versions.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14498
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14481
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14484

Don't know if you care about such things, but there you go.

Different versions can work most compatible with different set of hardware. To use your hardware efficiently, you should choose the right one.

It is said that for 4 GB ram or more=>64 bit

Thread Information