Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Front (top) Panel Connection to mobo

Question Front (top) Panel Connection to mobo

Hi all, Ive been puzzling over this one for a little while, and cant figure it out. I'm by no means an expert though so i figured I'd ask some!

I need to connect the top panel headphone/mic connectors to my Asus P5n32 SLI Premium MOBO but i cant for the life of me figure out where they go. Ive connected the USB no problem, however all i can find in the manual about audio is the below white slots. as you can see below it is not the same connection.

Help here is muchly appreciated!

Milo
    Last edited by Milo Pie; 09-28-2011 at 10:51 AM.

They should be printed on the motherboard itself near the connectors.
    IBM ThinkPad T21 - 750MHz PIII, 256mb RAM, XGA, S3 Savage IX8, 40GB HD, Windows 95/NT4
    HP ENVY 15 - i7 4700MQ, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GT740M, FHD, 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 7-64
    Desktop - i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD 7870, 256GB Samsung 840 SSD, 1TB HD, 7-64

All there are; are aux fan connectors, USB connectors and the audio slots that are show on the far right pic (the smaller white ones).

As far as I can tell the only audio is by an audio card in a special autio slot on the board. Perhaps it has front panel connectors on it.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

So to connect the headset and mic i would need to...?

A pic of the sound card rather than of the motherboard might be useful. Does the sound card have a model or part number? If neither it nor the motherboard has a front panel header then the only other option I can think of is to install a soundcard with one. For example if you have a PCI slot this might be the sort of thing.

Otherwise you must attach to the back panel sockets.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

OK have done some more research and realized that the azalea connector is what i should use.. but I'm not sure where to connect it... below are pictures of my sound card and it's inputs whilst the mobo pictures show the connections at the bottom left and right.

There are two basic types of audio headers; those for HDA and those for AC97.

Azalia wiring is for HDA but most cases would have wiring for AC97.

This isn't a hot area of my understanding so someone else might well chip in but if your front panel is AC97 it looks like you need a different sound card or else get a front panel that is HDA compatible.

Thank you for helping to clear all this up in my mind, i'm st work st the moment but what does the hda connection look like? I'm sure I remember abbreviation in the manual... Does it have 15 connection pins? I may be mistaken though...

Thread Information