Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: USB port detected as non highspeed

USB port detected as non highspeed

I have my computer for couple of years now. Couple of days ago whenever i connect a usb flashdrive there is a notification that says "There is no highspeed usb port detected on the system" and the perfomence just drop horribly.

I've definitely have a usb 2.0 port with no problem recently. I checked the device manager and it showed no problem. I uninstalled and let windows install them. Still no use.

All my ports are showing as "non high speed usb ports" system recommends i need a hub controller.

I have xp sp3 & windows 7. In them both i get the same error. Can the whole drives have been physically damaged?

Check the USB settings in your BIOS setup; maybe someone inadvertantly turned on the "compatibility" or "legacy" mode for very old USB gear with Windows 98 combo. Try disabling the parallel port (if present) and let windows re-initialize your USB ports. Are you sure your computer hasn't been tampered with?

PC or Motherboard make and model please?

Can the whole drives have been physically damaged?
    The USB bus can be damaged in a number of ways. Since you are having the same problem with two OSes it must be on the cards that this could be the case here.

It would not be a bad idea along the lines that kiosk has suggested of resetting the BIOS to failsafe defaults.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks for your info guys. I checked with the bios and found out that usb 2.0 support was turned off. I turned it on and my comp is fine again.

But how did the settings in the bios change? I did update the bios and i didn't feel any problems with usb ports. Only the usb settings in bios was changed. Nobody except me is using the comp.

Could it be the bios update?

Yes, it could be...often times the update wipes the user settings and either loads a 'failsafe' or factory default. Check all the rest of the BIOS settings to make sure they are correct or optimized.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information