Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Both laptops connected, one can't access internet

Both laptops connected, one can't access internet

We have two laptops in my house. Mine is a newer (3-4 years old) HP running Vista Home. The other, my roommate's, is a much older Lenovo running XP. Just recently we switched our internet provider to AT&T. AT&T provides their own modem/router. My laptop (Vista) is connected to the wireless signal with excellent strength and I have no trouble browsing the internet. My roommate's laptop is connected with excellent signal, but is unable to browse the internet. I've tried disabling the firewall, disabling AV, nothing. I am at a loss and need to get it fixed since he is paying for half the bill. I am looking for any help I can get. Here are the current internet settings for the two computers.

Working laptop:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.70(Preferred) I put "preferred" because that's what it said
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    DNS: 192.168.1.254

Non-working laptop:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 68.87.68.166

Go to Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections. Right-click on the connection in question and choose Properties.

Under the General tab, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and choose Properties. Under the General tab from there, the radio buttons should be chosen for Obtain and IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

The Default Gateway and DNS entries in his don't match yours, so that's definitely the place to start.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LochLomonder View Post
    Go to Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections. Right-click on the connection in question and choose Properties.

Under the General tab, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and choose Properties. Under the General tab from there, the radio buttons should be chosen for Obtain and IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

The Default Gateway and DNS entries in his don't match yours, so that's definitely the place to start.
    WOW! That worked like a charm. I can't thank you enough. Just to clarify, I did what you asked, then went back to Firefox and tried a couple different pages and they loaded just fine. So, everything should be good to go now, right? I don't need to check anything else? I just knew this was going to be a long, drawn-out, frustrating process but you proved me wrong! Thanks again.

You're welcome

So, everything should be good to go now, right?
    Yes, you're good to go. I've found sometimes what I think will be the simplest job turns into the hardest and, conversely, with the hard jobs. I'm glad this was an easy one for you.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Thread Information