Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: DVD-RW

Post DVD-RW

How do I set the DVD to be Primary Slave

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!

Hello Bill, and welcome to PC Guide!

Did you get a manual with the DVD? If not on the rear of the unit you should see some pins with some caps on them, these are the jumpers. It may show you on there where they need to be placed for Master or Slave.

If not you might try a GOOGLE search entering the brand name and numbers. If you cannot find post those back and we'll see what we can come up with.

------------------
    May all your dealings in life be win/win!

Whyzman
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

You might want to look at recent postings on "How to install CD burner", I got lots of good info from these nice folks on cable connections, they are really helpful

Wink

Originally posted by Whyzman:
    Hello Bill, and welcome to PC Guide!

Did you get a manual with the DVD? If not on the rear of the unit you should see some pins with some caps on them, these are the jumpers. It may show you on there where they need to be placed for Master or Slave.

If not you might try a GOOGLE search entering the brand name and numbers. If you cannot find post those back and we'll see what we can come up with.

The resaon I asked if I could change from secondary slave to primary slave is becuase on boot up the DVD/CDRW is shown as secondary slave but does not show up in My computer or the Device Manager in the properties

Thanks for the original helpful reply

Bill Tweddle

Thumbs up

Did you say dvd burner, wow, must be nice

------------------
    Sledgehammer will save the day!
    WAR EAGLE

Hello Bill,

I also have a combination drive. I assume that yours, like mine, is also a CD-ROM. Have you looked in Device Manager under CD-ROM? That's where you will find mine...

------------------

Whyzman

Did you build your computer? If so, I think that DVD/CDRW combos might have to be installed with a disc that may have accompanied it. Maybe that might clear up the invisible drive to your computer.

If you notice on your IDE cable, there are two connections for peripherals. The end one being the master and the middle being the slave. On your motherboard there should be two places where you plug it in. One of them is the primary and the other is the secondary. Usually the primary connection is used as the connection for the hard drives and the second is for the CD type devices. If you want to have the CD device to be the "primary slave", use the middle connection on the primary IDE cable. Also make sure that the jumper for the CD device is on the slave pins.

Oh yeah, if you did build your computer...I have encountered problems with FIC motherboards about CDROMs not being detected during boot up. Sometimes if I just hit the reset button before boot up completes, all of a sudden the drive is detected. I went to their website to find out that there were many other IDE problems. So...I just exchanged that motherboard for an AOpen motherboard. No problems there.

I hope that answers your question. Tell us how it turns out or whatever you come up with.

Just a slight addendum to Jixxer's post: Always terminate, meaning you cannot have an IDE cable with one device that is connected to the mid connector...it must be on the end if only one device/connector is being used. Been there and done that!

------------------

Whyzman

Thread Information