Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Mod review of first posts

Mod review of first posts

Yesterday evening I joined the Marshall forum to ask a question about, well, a Marshall amp. When I submitted my thread it said that it would be posted after a mod reviewed it. It didn't show up until this morning.

Kind of a bummer if someone needs help right away and the mods don't review it until later, but I thought it was a great way for scumbag spammers to be stopped from even getting a post up before getting the boot.

I don't know how long this restriction lasts as I have only had one post so far, but something to consider doing here.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

I think that might be a decent idea, to be honest. Of course, that will mean more work for the mods on here, but it would certainly help keep a lot of the proper posts from disappearing, albeit temporarily, under a deluge of spam crap.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

hear hear...

Quote Originally Posted by LochLomonder View Post
    Of course, that will mean more work for the mods on here
    Not knowing exactly how it is implemented, I would say it may actually make it easier since it never gets posted just put up for review. Seems like it would just be deleted and the scumbag banned. No more editing the post, no more tracking down several posts in different areas and moving them to the bit bucket.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

I agree.

The ratio of Spammers to new members is probably slanted quite a ways to the Spam side so the mods could delete/ban the Spammers and approve the few legit new poster/members. This would not be difficult and probably save them some time in the long run.

Problem though is lots of new members are in a hurry. Not an impatient hurry but one for a specific need such as business presentation or due date or college work/termpapers etc. If we implemented a waiting period/approval by mod condition, many may just move on to another forum and never return to find an answer to their problem.

Perhaps a one or two hour waiting period whether or not a mod shows up? Or maybe a few of us here could volunteer to assist the mods in some limited way (semi-moderator or mod in training) without full moderator status? Something like we'd get two radio buttons: 1: Allow post or 2: await moderator intervention (banning). Just thinking out loud...

There's several of us here who have been around long enough and who would easily qualify for the position(s) if needed.

Edit:
    But then there's the smart Spammers who tag team and don't Spam in their initial post either, so recognizing that would still be a challenge.

When someone notifies the mods of a bad post it generally takes very little time before one of them is around to take care of it. It probably would be two hours max, more likely less than an hour.

I agree it sucks someone that needs help would have to wait to get posted but unfortunately that's the way things are these days. And once they are established there is no wait.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

I think the idea has merit and is worth consideration - but all rests with the boss.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

How ironic the spam post was.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

I often receive spam posts in my e-mail(that there is a new post, with a copy of the post, which is the spam), but by the time I come here to report it, it is already gone to that great forum in the sky.

I check my e-mail periodically each day, and it seems to me, that the spam is policed very efficiently here - better then some forums(who will remain nameless) where it is not policed at all.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    it seems to me, that the spam is policed very efficiently here
    Absolutely. It usually takes very little time for a mod to come around take care of it. But if a new members post had to be approved of by a mod you would never even see the spam replies in your email or anywhere on the forum period.

And the mods could just as quickly approve or disapprove of the new poster. And instead of moving posts around and editing it they could just hit a delete button and then ban the scumbag spammer. Done!
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

I always wondered why the mods disemvoweled the posts anyway...?

Because of two important reasons...

1. Very seldom to we ever delete posts. Unlike other forums where post deletion is common, I can think of less than a dozen times it's happened here.

2. By making the post unreadable it is also impossible to have key words. Often the spam posts have a series of keywords that the search engines will pick up and a) still provide 'traffic' for the spammer and more importantly b) provide a 'magnet' for more spam. By keeping the threads/posts but totally neutering them, the user name is still picked up by the search engines and becomes associated with being a known spammer.

That's also why, when one of those idiots is so kind as to post their email address in the their post, we leave it. The spambots (email kind that troll the internet searching for email addresses) will harvest them...and start sending them all those fine offers for enlargement products, chances to help a Nigerian, multimillionare, political figure who just a relative (or the relative of a friend of a friend) and so on.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    2. By making the post unreadable it is also impossible to have key words. Often the spam posts have a series of keywords that the search engines will pick up and a) still provide 'traffic' for the spammer and more importantly b) provide a 'magnet' for more spam.
    Funny that you talk about this. I was looking over a spam reply just a couple of nights ago (normally completely ignore them) with a ton of gibberish and realized it isn't gibberish at all, but a bunch of keywords designed to get search engine hits.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

I always wondered why the mods disemvoweled the posts anyway...?
    And besides,, it sounds soo,,, painful....

To help scare the other ones away...

Wanted to bump this to see if there has been any talk amongst the mods and/or Charles? Just curious.

FYI. Just posted my second post at the Marshall forum and it posted straight away. BTW, no one ever replied to me over there.
    Last edited by jlreich; 03-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

Have the mods discussed this at all with the Big Cheese? If so, what was the outcome?

From what I understand the mods like the idea, but Charles has to make the decision and also he is the only one that can make such software changes. So we must wait for Charles. I am sure he will get around to it sooner or later and decide one way or the other.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

jlreich,

I knew that was the case, but I didn't think there would be any harm in nudging your thread back up to the top as a gentle reminder

Another idea is that, when someone replies to a 90+ day-old thread, let there be another page to alert the poster that they are replying to a stale, old thread.

It just seems that a lot of spam posts come out of old posts.

Only problem is that most spammers don't care about the age of the post...they are ether bots or some kids being paid in 'minutes' of online time. Warning them isn't going to matter...

Automatically locking threads after a certain amount of time...that would make a bigger difference.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Well, it came up in another forum. The mod said that the extra 'are you sure' screen tripped up the bots.

Well, I am still getting quite a few of those spam posting e-mails with links to threads with the latest post by some newbie post with about a million links to useless excrement...

Has anyone at moderator or administrator level had any more thoughts on approval of the first post, or first few posts?

It works superbly well on other forums to keep spammers out totally, but the trade-off is a little more work for the moderators, but it would only involve them checking NEW members' first posts...

It's just a shame that the pleasure of this forum, is being spoiled by these flippin' junk-mail posts. I wouldn't mind, but there does seem to be a lot more of them lately - I guess everything goes in phases...
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

The forums are due for a fairly substantial upgrade and overhaul. At that time something will be done to deal with the spam as well.

Thanks for your patience everyone.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Thread Information