Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: VOIP phone hardware: Linksys PAP2T-UK setup/config

VOIP phone hardware: Linksys PAP2T-UK setup/config

1. Trying to setup a hardware internet phone.

2. Bought a "Linksys PAP2T-UK" "Analogue Telephone Adapter" [ATA].

3. Connected up all hardware as instructed at the SIPgate website [registered with them].

3. Followed their instructions to use a connected analog phone, dialing certain characters to be told the device IP address via the phone handset.
    Got the IP address with no problem.

4. As instructed...
    typed the IP address in a web-browser [Firefox]...
    Preceded by http://
    Tried it both with, and without, but neither produce the desired result.

5. The ATA is connected to one of the 4 router input sockets.
    PC & Devolo Powerline unit connected also. [3 used in total]
    LED's [on front of router] for connected units are lit OK.

6. Any idea what's going wrong?

Sylvander, just to be clear at this stage the problem is that you cannot access the PAP2T web configuration is that correct?

Have you tried using internet explorer to access the ATA? The PAP2T can be fussy as to which browser it prefers.

To access the PAP2T you need to type http://lan ip address

BTW, you do know that the PAP2T has a somewhat complex configuration but there is tons of data on the net to help.

I have 2 of those units and they are top notch....

Good Luck

PS did you get the ring wire capacitor also

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=459
    Last edited by risk_reversal; 03-15-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Rev2, Bios 1014.008, A64 4000+ San Diego @2.88Ghz (240x12@1.375), XP-90 w/ Enermax 92mm, BFG 6800GT OC 370x1000, Creative Audigy, Corsair XMS TwinX 2048-3200C2PT (2.5-3-3-6 1T@2.7v), Seagate 500GB & 250GB SATA (Promise IDE), OCZ PowerStream 520w, Lian Li PC7 Plus II (3x120mm fans)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

1. "at this stage the problem is that you cannot access the PAP2T web configuration is that correct?"
    Correct.

2. "Have you tried using internet explorer to access the ATA?"
    No, not yet, but I'll try that.

3. "To access the PAP2T you need to type http://lan ip address"
    That's what the instructions said at the SIPgate website...
    And I did do that at 1st attempt...
    Then tried without http://...
    And then again tried with.
    But it just didn't work.

4. "BTW, you do know that the PAP2T has a somewhat complex configuration"
    Yes, I'd seen that mentioned in the reviews at Amazon...
    And the instructions at SIPgate gave screenshots that showed just how complex.
    Although I'd seen it said that only a few of the MANY settings actually need configured.

5. "there is tons of data on the net to help"
    The SIPgate site appears to include all the instructions necessary to complete the configuration, if I can only gain access.

6. "I have 2 of those units and they are top notch"
    Nice to hear.
    This is the only adapter that SIPgate sell, but I decided to save the additional 19 SIPgate price of supplying it ready configured.
    And also saved a few additional pounds by buying through Amazon.
    SIPgate = 44 +19 = 63
    Amazon = 40

7. "did you get the ring wire capacitor also"
    No idea what a "ring wire capacitor" is.
    But I DID get the "RJ11 to BT converter" at the same time as the ATA.
    Just as well, huh?

1. Tried using IE6 in Win2000Pro.
    Same result = failure to gain access to the PAP2T config settings.

2. Don't know if it has a bearing, but...
    In Firefox I'm using:
    "Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Settings":
    "Manual Proxy Configuration"...
    "http: proxy:" "webcache.virginmedia.com"
    "Port:" "8080"...
    "Use this proxy server for all protocols"...
    OK.

3. Think I'll try using some other Puppy_Linux+pupsave that doesn't have such config changes made.
    See what I get there.

4. In IE6 I used similar config settings, and also chose to by pass the use of the proxy for local devices.

1. SUCCESS!
    Linksys PAP2T-UK now configured and phone line tested [dialed 10000] and functioning.
    Did the necessary using the "Tumucumaque" [Minefield-4.0.1] browser in Racy-522 [Puppy_Linux].
    Wonder why it works here but not in Lupu or Windows?
    Because I have a proxy configured there?

2. EarnieK just phoned my new internet phone from his mobile, and will call from his landline in a few minutes.
    He just called from his landline.
    Tried calling his landline from the internet phone, and got a recorded message that said the call couldn't be made because there are no funds in the account.

3. I need to consider cancelling my virgin phone line.
    They say that should I do so, the cost of my package would only reduce by less than 3.
    Yet I'm paying about 13 for the line, and 7 for "Talk Unlimited".

Good that you got it going.

Bear in ming that the PAP2T has two menus 1. user 2. admin

Also each of those has two profiles 1. Basic 2. Advanced

If you log in under user which I believe you must initially, you will see on the main page the advanced tab.

To the right at the top there is the admin log in. Click on it and a log in box will open and user will be admin and whatever your password is. When you have logged in, you can also click on the Advanced tab.

There are some changes to the default which you should make one of then being to change the Ring Waveform to Sinusoid.

Check that Caller ID Method is set to ETSI FSK With PR (UK)

A useful guide

http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/vie...hp?f=29&t=3827

Also sometimes the PAP2T does disconnect and there are settings to change so that it recovers more quickly (would have to look at my notes to gets dets).

Also the voice codec should be looked at to make sure that it is compatible with your provider. G711 is compresssed (if memory serves me right) G729u/a are uncompressed and give better quality.

FYG, I have 2 services currently on my PAP2T, voipfone.co.uk and voiptalk.org. Payg on the first and the 1000 mins on voiptalk.org which allows free landline calls to worlwide destinations.

Call rates also differ wildly between providers especially if you call overseas.

I would resist the temptation to cancel any landline phone service as I would personally not want to rely on just a voip phone. However, if you decide that you want that you want to ditch your other phone, you could consider porting the number to a voip provider.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

I have ported a voip number from another company to voipfone and the process was quick and easy (voipfone was the cheapest and I was already using them).

Lastly, remember that once your PAP2T is configured, it will work anywhere. You just need to plug it into a router with a bb connection

Good Luck
    Asus A8V Deluxe Rev2, Bios 1014.008, A64 4000+ San Diego @2.88Ghz (240x12@1.375), XP-90 w/ Enermax 92mm, BFG 6800GT OC 370x1000, Creative Audigy, Corsair XMS TwinX 2048-3200C2PT (2.5-3-3-6 1T@2.7v), Seagate 500GB & 250GB SATA (Promise IDE), OCZ PowerStream 520w, Lian Li PC7 Plus II (3x120mm fans)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

1. Lots of info there.
    Will take some time to read and understand.
    Will read, think, investigate, and re-read.

2. Hopefully will get back with a further response before too long.

A small error in my last post as regards the Ring Waveform setting (under Regional tab), it should actually be on Trapezoid NOT Sinusoid.

Good Luck

Albert Einstein

1. Installed the sipgate X-Lite softphone program within my Win2000Pro.
    It's supplied ready-personalized after I log in at the sipgate site.
    It's ready-to-use, no further configuration needed.

2. Used it to call my VOIP hardware phone.
    Worked a treat
    Cost NOTHING to call the phone from my PC->Win2000Pro->X-Lite.

3. Now I need to get it working in Puppy_Linux also.

Computeractive articles:
    1. Make phone calls over the internet.

2. Internet phone handsets.

3. All articles found that mention sipgate.

I now have my emergency call [999] details accepted at the sipgate website [after login].

1. Bought this Gigaset C300A Twin DECT Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine from Amazon.

2. Looks rather nice, smaller than I expected, but bigger than a mobile phone, lightweight/small base station, handsets just about right for weight in the hand.
    Rather complex to operate, essential to read every word of the manual very carefully.

3. Spent 8.5 hours with the handsets on their cradles, so as to fully charge the supplied 2-batteries-per-handset.
    Now I must use them without ever placing them on their cradles, until the batteries are totally discharged.
    Then place them back on their cradles to fully charge them once more.
    Once all of that has been done I can lift them off the cradles and replace back on the cradles when finished with the activity.

4. Used "Win2000Pro->X-Lite" to call the ATA with the Gigaset DECT phone connected.
    Worked just fine.
    So now I have 2 cordless phones in use as hardware VOIP [internet] phones.
    Only problem was...the mic volume was too low, so anyone llistening at whichever kind of handset is connected, didn't have enough loudness available [e.g. on the Gigaset handset using earphone or handsfree speaker].
    Went searching for, and manged to find, the "mic-boost" tick-box in the "C-Media-mixer" software control panel.
    That produced the desired significant increase in mic volume.
    Now it's necessary to turn the mic volume down slightly using the slider control.

5. Haven't yet figured how to make the "Psip Puppy Phone" call phones connected to an ATA registered to work with the SIPgate server.
    Hence, I'm as yet unable to Use the "Psip Puppy Phone" in Puppy Linux to call my hardware VOIP phone.

6. Though I can easily call [for FREE] any number of the Puppy buddies all over the world...
    ...Who have an identity/address with their accounts at iptel.org
    Once I register each buddy [specify their identity/address]...
    They go in my buddy list...
    And all I need do to call someone, is to highlight them, and click the "Call" button.

7. Though if I use the Psip Puppy Phone keypad to manually dial a number...
    It does NOTHING whatever!
    Need to figure that one out.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 04-01-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Thread Information