Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to put video card in Dell PC AGP slot - help?

Ok, I connected my KVM switch to the Dell laptop and the Dell desktop, I can switch between the 2 computers, using the desktop's mouse/monitor/keyboard to control the laptop's functions by pressing the Scroll Lock key twice, but the mouse and keyboard don't work on the desktop (they only work when the laptop is toggled to use the desktop's KVM) - so how can I make the keyboard/mouse work when I switch over to the desktop (only the desktop's monitor gets switched over back to the desktop when toggling - mouse/keyboard are unusable unless I toggle the laptop to use the desktop's monitor)?

My Simuride does work on my Dell (M1530, runs XP) laptop perfectly, wheel also works, but wheel does not work on the Acer (wheel was bought in 2001 when XP was released).

The desktop's mouse is USB, the monitor is VGA port, the keyboard is PS/2, so I had to use a special PS/2 mouse/keyboard to USB adapter cable in order to connect the keyboard to the keyboard port on the KVM switch.

Additionally, this driving program uses at least a Core 2 Duo 2 GHz CPU or equal CPU, and even though I contacted both sellers about the return of both that CPU and video card, both items are already shipped as of today, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to keep these when they come, put them into that other desktop PC that has the 754 socket, get RAM for it, and install the program/wheel onto this PC and use the KVM to switch from it to the Dell desktop or keep my laptop/desktop switching scenario?

KVM switch I bought

Googled the problem, found this **here** and I tried this but it didn't work for me. What do I do now?
    Last edited by AlienBZ; 03-28-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    "AlienBZ to Quasar Command...Have completed all tasks here on this planet. Ready to beam up, please."

Got a refund on that CPU I bought Sunday, (both CPU and video card are marked by amazon as "shipped" in my order history) and video card return instructions just arr in my email's inbox.

So when they come I'm not even going to open the boxes, Just going to fill out the return labels, paste them on each box and take 'em to post office.

The refund for the CPU was processed March 26.
    "AlienBZ to Quasar Command...Have completed all tasks here on this planet. Ready to beam up, please."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienBZ
    I can switch between the 2 computers, using the desktop's mouse/monitor/keyboard
    Nope, the mouse/monitor/keyboard do not belong to the desktop anymore. These peripherals belong to the KVM switch now. Once you unplug a monitor from a computer and plug it into a KVM switch, you move the "ownership" of the monitor. It all goes through the KVM switch now.

Not sure about the rest of your KVM problems. How is everything plugged in? Where do the wires go?

There is probably a setting somewhere for that wheel to work on the Acer laptop. The wheel is plugged directly into the Acer, right?

Best method for running programs like these is to use the peripherals natively. That means no KVM switches in the way, and only powered USB hubs if any.

Considering that SimuRide requires a dual-core CPU and Socket 754 only had ever single-core CPUs, I highly doubt SimuRide would run on a Socket 754 system. You did the right thing by returning that CPU. Software cannot be expected to work on hardware less than the min reqs. Way more trouble than it is worth, trust me. The min reqs are oftentimes not even enough.

No, there is no setting/switch on the wheel to make it work on the Acer. When I tried to install it on the Acer, the setup program would not even start up, and when I accessed the wheel's setup CD and tried to install it, I got a message onscreen saying that this program was not compatible with Win 7/x64 OS. The XP in the M1530 and the Dell desktop is x86. I think that's why the wheel will not work, b/c x86 OS's are compatible with Win 98/98SE as well as XP, 2000, NT, and ME, since (AFAIK) these are all based on x86 architecture.

So how do I bring ownership of the mouse/keyboard/monitor back to the desktop without having to re-connect/disconnect them from the KVM each time I want to use the desktop - do I simply install Driver's Ed 99 on the M1530 and only use the KVM to switch the laptop to the desktop monitor and be done with it so I can use the 2 programs that way or do I hook the monitor to KVM, mouse/keyboard to USB hub, them hook the USB hub to KVM or what?

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline View Post
    Best method for running programs like these is to use the peripherals natively. That means no KVM switches in the way, and only powered USB hubs if any.
    If what I said is wrong, what does "no KVM switches in the way, only powered USB hubs if any" mean?
    Last edited by AlienBZ; 03-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Did Windows find the wheel anyway?

A piece of hardware that old might have a native driver in Windows already. Can you find it in the list of devices? It could be right there in the Control Panel > Devices and Printers and working fine.

Also, welcome to the world of "that does not work on a 64-bit OS"! To clarify, x86 is actually a microprocessor design philosophy and not actually associated with "32-bit" (despite what others may tell you). x86 is distinct from other microprocessor designs such as RISC, MIPS, ARM, etc. In fact, Intel's first microprocessor, the 4004, was RISC. Intel created x86 with the 8008 CPU - x86 actually started out as an 8-bit design! As we moved into 16-bit and 32-bit CPUs based on x86, the nomenclature followed without any changes. For some reason, when people say "x86" now, they mean x86 32-bit, while we use "x86_64" or "x64" to denote x86 64-bit. I have no idea why, but this is how people use the term now.

Oh, and if you ever run across "x87", that would be the FPU, which debuted at 32-bit and shifted to 80-bit with the original Pentium. Years later, after MMX, 3DNow!/3DNow!+, and the various SSE flavors, the FPU is now coupled to the SSE engine and handles all previous non-x86 instructions that are run on x86 CPUs. Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienBZ
    If what I said is wrong, what does "no KVM switches in the way, only powered USB hubs if any" mean?
    This means that your USB devices will either plug directly into the USB ports on the computer, or they will plug into a USB hub that has its own power adapter - thus "powered USB hub". If your USB devices are plugged into your computer in this way, there is nothing in the way of them working at the USB logical level.

Thread Information