Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Prepaid Internet for desktop?

Question Prepaid Internet for desktop?

I have a question or 2.....LoL
    I am not at all knowledgeable about pc's (wonder if theres a book called pc's for dumber than dummies) but anyway I have dsl & love it but i'm on a very fixed income now and it's hard to swing it because its sky high and I really need to cut back so I wondered if I can use those prepaid cards for internet on my desktop? And if so.....exactly what do i need??? to use them? I know I'm on a dell with windows 7......LoL If that even matters.
    I hate dialup & have no patience and very few hairs left as it is.......Help Please!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChattyCathy View Post
    I have dsl & love it but i'm on a very fixed income now and it's hard to swing it because its sky high and I really need to cut back so I wondered if I can use those prepaid cards for internet on my desktop?
    First...probably not.

Second, have you looked into bundling phone/internet/tv in your area? Often it does come out cheaper than all three separately.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

1. ChattyCathy...
    Do you have a phone service supplied by your ISP?

2. Just recently, I bought myself an ATA="Analog Telephone Adapter".
    I have an analog phone connected to the ATA, and the ATA connected to my router.
    Hence I now have a hardware VOIP [digital internet] phone with its own phone number supplied by SIPgate [service provider].

COSTS NOTHING!
    but can only receive calls unless I put some money in the account.
    With money in the account I can call landlines at about 10% of the normal cost.
    i.e.
    UK landlines = 72 p/Hr
    Mobiles = 594 p/Hr
    Australia landlines = 108 p/Hr
    Switzerland landlines = 114 p/Hr

2. So what I need is low-cost internet-only.
    Or internet plus TV.
    My Virgin ISP were charging a total of about £62 less £18 discount = £44 for a package including:
    Fast broadband...soon to be increased from 20Mb/s to 60Mb/s.
    TV
    Phone line [£14] plus "talk unlimited" [£8].
    I asked virgin about ending the phone portion of the package [to use VOIP hardware phone instead], and was told it would be crazy to do that because it would only reduce the total package cost by less-than £3.

3. She proposed to reduce my package price to £39, and hold my broadband speed to its present 20Mb/s rather than go ahead with the increase to 60Mb/s.
    I agreed to that.
    So although I'm in theory still at the same speed as before...
    Suddenly web-pages no longer load in time, and Firefox reports a failure to load, and I must click reload.

CONCLUSION
    4. I know how to make low-cost phone calls, but it needs a fast internet connection [at reasonable price].

Where are you located? If you're looking at dropping phone service, look into getting a MagicJack. They are dirt cheap (29$/year) and have free calling to USA and Canada.

I would think that your ISP would have a "dirt cheap" plan. Here you can get a DSL connection with slower speeds for as low as $16/month (promo price).
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

1. "Where are you located?"
    "Let he who has eyes see".
    I'm in "West Lothian, Scotland" UK.

2. "look into getting a MagicJack. They are dirt cheap (29$/year) and have free calling to USA and Canada."
    I did...
    But they seem best [only?] suited to the USA and Canada.
    And it is just another kind of ATA, right?
    And I then bought [and have in use] a Linksys PAP2T, and configured it for use with SIPgate.
    And it has ZERO monthly charge, and low pay-as-you-go call rates, which is what I prefer since I probably won't make very many "active" [outgoing] calls, mostly "passive" [incoming] calls.

3. "I would think that your ISP would have a "dirt cheap" plan"
    Hmmm...
    Since Virgin already have me as a paying customer [knocked down to £39/month], I don't imagine they would agree to charge even less for the same service.
    And I'm not totally satisfied with the speed I'm seeing right now.
    Yet it tested at 19Mb/s download, and 2.8Mb/s upload.

4. "Here you can get a DSL connection with slower speeds for as low as $16/month (promo price)"
    I'm thinking about that right now.
    When I mentioned to Virgin the possibility of switching to ADSL, she said:
    "We are the only service provider who run cables to your property, so you cannot do that".
    But I have a BT telephone line from way back before switching to Virgin.
    I wonder about contacting BT [British Telecom].
    I wonder what they would charge for ADSL, if they supply it here.
    Or Sky for a satellite internet connection.
    The guy next door still has his Sky dish, but has since switched to Virgin Cable.

Haha, sorry Sylvander, I intended my response towards the original poster

xxxxxOOPSxxxxx

So where is ChattyCathy I wonder.

Gone and never called me father?

"How d'you like that...
    She didn't even say g'bye!"

Quote from which "Spike Jones and his City Slickers" song?

ChattyCathy is not so chatty!

We wuz had!

By a 1-post-wanda.

Thread Information