Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win7 mouse freeze

Win7 mouse freeze

using Windows 7 mouse stops responding and freezes up at random times, only fix is to unplug power and repower up, doesn't matter if mouse used is wired or wireless, its on a 2009 Dell tower, google showed problem to be out there for others but no clear fix found, suggestions, thanks
    "Act civilized, even if you aint."

Have you installed/uninstalled any programs or changed any settings lately? When did this problem start?
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Quote Originally Posted by azzey View Post
    Have you installed/uninstalled any programs or changed any settings lately? When did this problem start?
    no, started ? few months ago

its not just the mouse, its the keyboard, the whole system

There is Microsoft hot fix for the Windows 7 random freeze problem, I downloaded and installed it today, will see what happens

My Win7 laptop froze only one time like that so far, during one of those, "do not shut your computer off while Windows is installing updates" and this was after a complete reload of the system! Had to do a hard shut down, but it rebooted since just fine and finished updating. I even have MSE loaded, no more freezes.

I'll keep an eye on this for you of something odd, you keep me posted here on how it fares ok?

Good luck with that MS fix.

Quote Originally Posted by capequahog View Post
    only fix is to unplug power and repower up
    1. Woa...NOT GOOD.
    Such an "improper-power-off" [IPO] tends to corrupt the Partition_file_system [PFS] of the OS in use at the time.

2. I imagine Win7 is using a journal file system, right.
    I'm no expert, but my understanding is...
    Journal file systems [NTFS, ext3] tend to recover more elegantly from an IPO than earlier file systems [FAT32, ext2].
    But even so, seems they don't always succeed in this [as in this case?]...
    I believe it is necessary to scan&fix the PFS after each such IPO.
    I ALWAYS scan right after an IPO, and prior to the next attempt to boot.

3. Windows will attempt to auto-scan & therefore attempt-to-fix at next Startup after an IPO.
    Problem is...
    It may not succeed...
    Because it is using a possibly/probably compromised OS to do the work.
    And if chaos has been introduced to the Windows folder/file system, and the attempt to fix it has failed...
    Then you have chaos in the system.

4. The good news is...
    There ARE ways to recover a chaos-free system, as follows:

5. Use a program running in some OS other than the suspect Windows...
    To scan&fix the PFS.
    I can do this in minutes using "Puppy_Linux->GParted->"check".
    It's a good idea to have an image backup in store prior to attempting this.
    OR...

6. Restore a recent [good][sector-by-sector?] image backup of the whole HDD [or the Windows partition contents and boot sector].
    This will also fix the PFS.
    Or...

7. Restore a backup copy of the folder/file contents of the partition.
    OR...

8. Restore a "Windows restore point" using "FalconFour's UBCD. [NOT the suspect Windows]
    Last edited by Sylvander; 03-30-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Another litter of pups to sell? What now, Beagles? Border Collies?

My XP (I know this thread is Win7 as is on my laptop) has literally survived hundredS of hard shutdowns/reboots with absolutely no ill effects. From failed hardware to initialize which ends up with an endless Windows splash screen,, to an occasional freeze, or the periodic power outage, tree branch on local mains and other reasons the power or reset button is the only way to recover. NEVER has my OS had to be reinstalled or re-imaged to C:

What part of Cape's post that he thinks he has the problem fixed was not seen?

Not everyone wants or needs your particular method of recovery. In my instance, all of my valuable data is on a separate area of the HDD and if in the event my C: drive fails to be functional, I could just reload with the Windows disk or do a repair install of the affected problem ie MBR... I've been prepared for that day for over 7 years but haven't had to use it yet. And the data on the other partitions are backed to an external.

I have Puppy and many other Linux distros, but as mentioned time and time again, they are not everyone's cup of tea.

The main part of what you did not notice is that this is a common problem, obviously inherent to the OS (Win7) as there are many on the www with the same problem and MS has addressed it with a hotfix. See this article with link. No amount of re-imaging would fix what is a problem in the operating system. But also let it be known that if Windows updates were performed it would have already been addressed with SP-1 (and my freeze was experienced during a reload, hence prior to SP-1 on my install).

Here is a real example of how a 'Puppy' herds others to his way of thinking... lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07at1bU89Q

thanks Syl, but not sure if i'm geek enuf for all that, it froze again this a.m. shortly after startup, I pwr dn/up to get it back. I revisited the MS hotfix file as I wasn't sure if it actually got done, i came across a windows box while looking at the files proberties and there was an unblock chk box that looked nlike it had to be applied to actually run rthe file, so I did this and am waiting to see again

FTT, have been running SP1 probably since it came out so not sure whether or not the fix applies or not, who the heck knows when reading all the MS mumbo jumbo on their support pages

Cape,
    Have you done all Windows security and hotfix updates? I would go to their site and let it find out if any are needed yet. Perhaps the fix you are trying to install will install better through the automation of the Windows Update site.

Worth a try.

updates all up right now as of 3/14/12

Well I just got my laptop about fully patched up and reloaded. Put the HUGE download of SP1 (my C: is close to 5 gigs bigger than it was) on it and then one more update Windows said was ready for D/L and guess what? It freezes ALL THE TIME NOW

I'm going to try the supposed fix and hope it works. If not I will reload a-g-a-i-n from an image and not install SP1 until they have this crap figured out and fixed for sure!

Thank you MS for wasting so much of my time...

Well I got my freeze issue resolved. Tried using the fix and it did not work because I kept getting an error saying the fix was not for my system specs, yeah right!

Microsoft, in their 'infinite' wisdom, wants you to jump through hoops in order to receive a 'fix' from them these days. I can remember they sent out XP SP2 for free through the mail.... Well now you have to give them your email address, check off a box for your system and fill in some request form to have the hotfix emailed to you. So upon filling it out and receiving the email, you get a link! Why did they not just provide the link in the first place?!?!?!?! So I backtracked and figured out no matter which box you check off, the fix is the same link.

Tried downloading with IE three times and Firefox once with same results. When you try to install it, you get a 'Not compatible' to the system which is a load of BULL!

I finally fixed it by doing a restore point prior to the install of SP1 and now all is well = no more freezes!

All I have to say is, wow, how amazingly stupid MS is treating this one...

I reinstalled Win 7 with the factory disc and the freeze problem hasn't happened for about 24 hrs so far

Thread Information