Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Linux Backup

Linux Backup

We have implemented a program on a computer for a customer on a cent os operating system. We have been looking for a good way to back up the whole system (kinda like a Norton ghost image) But for linux. Does anyone know of a good program to use, or a good way to do this?

I am not as familiar with it as others may be, but "DD Rescue" is one method that is free and reliable.

There is also Image for Linux. I have it but don't use it because I don't generally make backups of my Linux installs. But I do often use, and have for years, 'Boot It' and 'Image for Windows' from the same company with great success.

Some other might chime in with some other options.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

^ I use both those and they both work great.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

You can always try Clonezilla, which is freeware and works a treat.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

I've never used Cent OS, so don't know anything of the inner workings of that, BUT...

1. I use the FREE Seagate Disk Wizard, which is their version of Acronis True Image.
    Go here to download the Windows installation exe file.
    OK, so it needs to be installed to some Windows OS so the bootable disk can be made...
    But once you have that disk it can be booted on any PC, and used to make image backups of whatever you like.
    If the HDD to be backed-up isn't a Seagate HDD...
    At the error screen, just input the keyboard combination:
    Alt+t+o and click the GUI OK button with your mouse.
    The backup operation will then proceed.

2. Programs I use in Puppy Linux that you could probably use in Cent OS:
    (a) The BRILLIANT Xfe!
    A SUPERB file explorer, like Windows Explorer, but better.
    This has up to 3 panes = 1 folder pane and 2 file panes.
    You can use this to copy [all of?] the folder/file contents of a partition...
    And later use Xfe to delete the contents of a partition, and restore the backup copy.
    Doing this produces a [near] perfectly defragmented and contiguous contents of the partition.
    [There is a small empty working space left at the beginning of the partition]

(b) The wonderful snap2!
    This is a purpose made backup program.
    The way I use it is to make a set of backups.
    The 1st backup takes the maximum time and space, because it backs-up ev-er-y-thing you have chosen.
    Subsequent backups use the minimum of time and space, because it only needs to backup folders and files that have changed.
    Each new backup is displayed as the complete list of items copied, that consists of the few items actually copied plus the items previously copied in all the previous backups.
    You specify how many copies to keep [7 in my case], and the excess/old copies are auto-deleted.
    Each backup is auto-named [recent1,2,3,4,5,6,7].
    See screenshot below of Xfe display of the snap2 backups I have for my Win2000Pro partition [C:], and it's OS data partition [D:].
    The last=right screenshot shows the contents of my Windows partition C: = sda1.
    sdc1 is the partition on my 1TB USB connected external HDD, where I keep my backups.
    I use Xfe to view/manipulate/restore these backups.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Sylvander; 04-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Any disk imaging program that is cloning from the hard drive directly (rather than file-copying) should do the trick. Of the TerabyteUnlimited utilities it is not mandatory to use Image for Linux in order to clone Linux systems - the Linux suffix just means it runs in/from a Linux environment. ImageForDOS would be my own favourite (and restoration is as simple as creation of images) and it comes included with Image for Linux or Image for Windows or BootItBareMetal.

One "gotcha" with imaging of Linux systems is to do with the MBR onto which GRUB is likely to have been installed. So it is wise to backup the MBR in addition to imaging the partitions when cloning Linux systems. If cloning the whole drive then the MBR should have been included.

Post back if you need help on how to backup the MBR.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 04-03-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Thread Information