Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: fdminst.exe

Post fdminst.exe

Hey guys, Had a quick question about a file trying to download to my laptop when i start it up.

Window says its fdminst.exe & believe its just an update for download manager? Reason i ask is because it Kinda acted like a virus.. At initial start up asked if you wanted to update to it, i clicked no, then another window poped up with a download bar showing a download in progress. Next window prompted me to re-start my computer.

quick google & bing search about fdminst.exe doesnt lead to much. one site says Across all ThreatExpert reports, the file "fdminst.exe" has never been identified as a threat. another says its a threat & should be removed if not located in a certain area.

Wanted to get your guys thoughts on this.

Thanks for the opinions.. Rick...

also, I run win 7, with advast virus protection & when i did a full computer scan on 12-28-12, it detected a threat. Name of the threat was iefav2800.txt & virus Win32:malware-gen

heres a picture of the pop up window. Everytime the system restarts or turns on, this pops up.

try downloading MSE (free) and run a full scan and see what you get with that
    you probally OK'ed the install with some new hardware you might have installed like a printer/keyboard/mouse/USB

seems to harmless on every site I could find
    Last edited by hackerballs; 12-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

And if you click on "Show Details"...what details does it show?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks for the reply guys...

Quote Originally Posted by hackerballs View Post
    try downloading MSE (free) and run a full scan and see what you get with that
    you probally OK'ed the install with some new hardware you might have installed like a printer/keyboard/mouse/USB

seems to harmless on every site I could find
    After the install, it did a quick scan & said it found no threats. I'll do a full scan though in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    And if you click on "Show Details"...what details does it show?
    Here is the details.

when i click NO. this pops up..

then this window..

I have been cliCking NO to the re-start. but i have restarted my computer a few times already.

@hackerballs Full system scan resulted in Zero threats detected.

so what exactly is the fdminst.exe thats its trying to get me to d/l?

*crickets*

Easy there Rick,
    We would like to help but we need more information to determine what occurred.
    What have you downloaded intentionally?
    What websites or programs do you suspect might have downloaded the exe?
    A download manager itself may be benign but may be part of something else, we just don't know where your browser or PC have been.
    Do you do torrents?
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 12-30-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrntRhd View Post
    Easy there Rick,
    We would like to help but we need more information to determine what occurred.
    What have you downloaded intentionally?
    What websites or programs do you suspect might have downloaded the exe?
    A download manager itself may be benign but may be part of something else, we just don't know where your browser or PC have been.
    Do you do torrents?
    What have you downloaded intentionally? no idea. computers used for school "phoenix online" as well as general surfing

What websites or programs do you suspect might have downloaded the exe? no idea. thats why i came here, im not even sure what fdminst.exe is?

Do you do torrents? whats a torrent?

This is a program called Free Download Manager. It is not a virus or spyware. Your probably allowed while installing some other program. Please feel free to uninstall via add/remove programs....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Quote Originally Posted by classicsoftware View Post
    This is a program called Free Download Manager. It is not a virus or spyware. Your probably allowed while installing some other program. Please feel free to uninstall via add/remove programs....
    so from the pictures above, its safe to d/l classicsoftware?

just finished running a malwarebytes full scan & turned up no threats also.

It's safe to download, the question is what is the advantage?
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

It kind of reminds me of the DL manager I got from cnet. I couldn't see the advantage...

then one should simply delete it in add/remove programs if you don't want it.........no harm either way and it might be a usefull exe. for it's intended porpose
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

thanks for all the input & help with the matter. last thing i wanted to do was install virus. Thanks again for the help.

Thread Information