Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Desktop Gadgets gone from my desktop.............

Desktop Gadgets gone from my desktop.............

Anyone know what would cause my desktop gadgets to mysteriously be gone from my desktop (the two that I had are: temperature and calendar); I have not made any changes to my computer that I am aware of and this seems strange. Thanks.
    "Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Expired subscriptions such as something bundled with an install of a bundled OS? HP, Dell etc.. Or perhaps incompatible add-ons with a browser update or similar? Display/Desktop settings been changed in any way? System adjusted for performance or similar? Would need more specifics to 'guess' any further..

crestwood,
    Is this Windows 7?
    The MSN site that connects to the gadget has changed formats a bit.
    Right click an open desktop area and reload the gadget and see how it works.

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have done no manual updates or changes myself however I believe Microsoft automatically does this for me. I have had an Acer Desktop 3450 since Nov. 2011 and I do have Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, with Internet Explorer. All of the sudden my desktop gadgets go away and I do not know why. I did right-click on the open desktop area and tried to reload the gadgets without any luck. Also, another annoyance is that I keep on getting a pop-up to register my Acer desktop, and I did this at the time of purchase back in 2011. Thanks again.

Well I was able to get the Windows Gadgets back on my desktop by doing the following.
    I typed in Windows Feature in Start box, then selected turn off windows feature, scrolled to windows gadgets and unchecked, rebooted and then I repeated the same and checked the gadgets box, and I had my gadgets back on my desktop. However, then they were gone a day later. Oh well.

delete your settings in your users app section.

For example if your user name is "Jon" then go to
    C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

Then delete the folder called "Windows Sidebar"

This will delete your users gadget settings so when you go to use a gadget it will reset the folder and settings.

you will have to reboot.... worth a try
    Want my weapons molon labe

I have the same problem here - I have tried disabling and re-enabling the gadgets as per crestwood's idea, but nothing. If you right-click the desktop, and select Gagets, nothing happens - the window never comes up.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Windoze 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1.

EDIT: Downloaded Windows Repair All-in-one from Tweaking.com, but this has not fixed the problem either.
    They list a script you can run to fix the issue, but it does not work for me anyway.
    Link to the forum thread about the script that can help fix the problem...
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 08-08-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Tried the regedit mod in this thread on the Microsoft forums, but even though that seems to work for others, it does not for me.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

Thread Information