Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light a candle in solidarity...

Thumbs up Light a candle in solidarity...

First, a reminder: if you haven't read what I posted earlier today in the Announcements forum, please do so. Thanks.

I realize that the events of this week have been trying on many people; those outside the United States may not understand this, though I know that people from around the world have been affected. As I said on the front page today--those of you who have not seen it, may wish to view the comments there as well--I normally keep politics and current events far off this site. But so much has happened of such great import, and it seems to have affected so many people here, that I felt some sort of action was warranted.

The warning in the Announcements forum is negative action; this thread is positive action. A chain letter has circulated widely today asking everyone in the U.S. (and perhaps elsewhere--haven't seen the letter) to light a candle tonight at 7:00 pm. I figured that if it can be done in the real world, it can be done in the virtual world.

I would encourage everyone who is interested to include a (small!) image of a candle in this thread. For those of you without "virtual candles", I have posted a page with a dozen of them here on the site. Just follow the instructions.

The timing doesn't matter; the site is international so the time is different everywhere. Feel free to participate whenever you see this thread. If you wish to add some (positive, constructive, respectful) comments as well, do so, of course.

Take care everyone, and please, try to remain calm and look at the good things too.

--c

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by ixl (edited 09-14-2001).]
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Someone I love once said,

"Blessed are those that mourn, for they will be comforted."

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God".

"You have heard it said 'Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy' but I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes the sun to rise on the righteous and the unrighteous".

Pray for peace brothers and sisters.

------------------
    Peace and Love, brothers and sisters. Peace and Love

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 09-14-2001).]

Unhappy

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 09-14-2001).]

------------------
    There's a hole in my memory, dear Liza, dear Liza, there's a whole in my memory, dear Liza, a hole.
    Then disable it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry, then disable it, dear Henry, dear Henry, disable it.

[fixed IMG tag --c]

[This message has been edited by ixl (edited 09-14-2001).]
    There's a hole in my memory, dear Liza, dear Liza, there's a whole in my memory, dear Liza, a hole.
    Then disable it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry, then disable it, dear Henry, dear Henry, disable it.

MOM TAUGHT ME ABOUT TIME TRAVEL:
    "If you don't straighten up, I'll knock you into next week!"

I, myself have family in NYC, and I lived there for 12 years. I don't know why it still amazes me when such tradgedy happens. I still haven't figured out why people have to fight about who's whatever is right or wrong. It's sad, because bottom line, it really doesn't matter that I think or are different than you. If we were all the same, it would be quite boring.

You know, whoever you are that did this, apparently you didn't or don't have a life, and people are right...you are cowards to not come face to face with someone. There was no reason...Maybe we should just crash planes into all the tall buildings all over the world?

I'm just disgusted.... and angry...

Thank you PC Guide (Charles) for all of your insite into the computer world, I can say I have learned tons from this site, and for giving all of us a way to grieve in all our own ways for the senseless attacks on NYC, PA, and Wash. DC..

On September 11th 2001 I watched, like most Americans, terrorism brought to American soil. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those directly and indirectly effected by this National Tragedy.

May God Watch Over The USA

Josh Lindstrom
    Toronto, Ontario

Thanks Charles for this opportunity to express myself

------------------
    If I tell you to think for yourself, then you're not doing it.
    This is not directed at those asking questions in order to gain knowledge. That shows you are thinking.
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Lightbulb

Here is a quote to ponder from Socrates as we reflect upon the past few days and prepare for those to come:

"Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs, therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity"

Thank you for this opportunity to light my own candle,
    Ken Minogue (evalroy)

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
    - Richard Feynman

We all observed 3 minutes of silence where I work today.

I am praying for all the families, friends, and victims of this senseless act of destruction.

I also pray that life will go on and some form of peace is restored on our planet and in our hearts. But let us also never forget that terrible day.

I think that day made everyone a little more aware of our mortality and just how short life is or can be. Take the time to enjoy life in our fast-paced world.

Peace.

------------------
    And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd
    And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

Blog Entries

Let's remember also, this tragedy did not only affect America. Great Britain lost an entire company whose offices were in one of those buildings, they played our national anthem instead of theirs yesterday at the opening of Birmingham Palace. Canada, Japan, Mexico, Germany, and many other countries-about 50 of them-also had people there.

200,000 people held an apparently peaceful demonstration yesterday in Berlin in support of America. National leaders from many nations, including Russia and other not-so-friendly nations have spoken out against terrorism and in support of our country.

Here in the PC Guide Forums we have seen expressions of sympathy from people in other countries, while they are certainly mourning losses of their own.

This candle is for all of them...

------------------
    Support the right to keep and arm bears.
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

There is only one humanity.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!

When my wife's brother decided to end his life in 1985, we asked of God, "How could You allow such a thing to happen?" When my sister was murdered in 1995 I asked of God, "Why He would allow such a thing to happen?" As I look at the twisted steel, ashes, and realize the tremendous number of lives taken in this assult on innocent people, once again the question, "Why would God allow such a thing to happen?"

I submit for your review in this forum of opinion the answer that has provided me a semblance of understanding and comfort.

When the Creator decided to endow us with freewill He obviously knew the potential consequences. When my brother-in-law decided to end his life it was by his choice. Had God intervened and stopped him He would have violated the very freewill he provided. When my sister was murdered by her husband another downside of freewill reared it's ugly head as his evil choices resulted in the violation of another, i.e., my sister's choice to live.

Magnified thousands of times over on September 11th we witnessed man's taking the gift God provided, hoping we would by choice follow HIM, and instead used it to violate the will of others. God had nothing to do with this trajedy! These men chose evil.

In God's grand scheme of things their evil deeds will ultimately backfire. For now, we experience the pain of loss as does God. His desire for all of us is to live long and prosper.

The true goal of Government is to protect my freedom of choice yet not voilate yours. And, to protect us from those who would deny us choice!

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free...and I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me...and I'll proudly stand up next to her and defend her still today...cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless The USA!!!

May all your dealings in life be win/win!

Whyzman
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

A proud people were humbled last Tuesday, in the cruellest way possible. If I can, I will help to restore that pride, because they were proud of their humanity.

I hope we will remember that compassion and tolerance can not win the coming battle, but they will help to make future wars obsolete.

[IMG tag fixed -- and thanks everyone for the heart-warming contributions --charles]

[This message has been edited by ixl (edited 09-15-2001).]

I used to think that other countries didn't like Americans and held America in contempt and disdain as a result.

I'd like to apologize for thinking that.

The remarks posted by people from around the world on this subject have broken my heart and done a great deal to help me heal. God bless you all for the emotional support which I foolishly never thought would exist.

------------------
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the net, and he wont bother you for weeks.
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

I must say that I too was under the impression that we were hated by every other Country also. To read what the Canadian wrote in that editorial and to see the 200,00 people turnout in Germany, and when they played our song at the changing of the guard, it was very emotional. All this gave me a totally different outlook on things and made me feel like maybe it's not us against the World afterall.

An excerpt from the London "Times" today:

... And then in St Paul’s, the national shrine for great events, the United Kingdom mourned and honoured America with royal, religious and civic ceremony. Familiar old words of consolation and hope were spoken and sung. There was stirring rhetoric. The Archbishop of Canterbury spoke for the future. The most emotional moment came when the great congregation sang The Star-Spangled Banner, composed by Francis Scott Key in 1814 as he watched the bombardment of Baltimore from a British ship on which he was detained...

[This message has been edited by Pianorak (edited 09-15-2001).]

The United States, like the phoenix of legend, will arise from the ashes, renewed in purpose and spirit. We, as a free nation, will always be a target for those who are enemies of freedom and we must remember that freedom does have a cost. This cost is not always easy to accept, nor is it always welcome. The events of Tuesday Sept. 11 prove this. Mourn -- we must, remember the loss and suffering -- yes, and we must once again take our place on the world stage and defend and protect Freedom.

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Yawningdog, Kaos It is understandable that living in a country that has excelled in all the world's arena's, both at national and individual levels that you would feel that it is sometimes a case of the USA against the world.
    I am so pleased that you have discovered that this is not the case.

I have always believed that countries and individuals should aspire to
    equal their friends or competitors and not bring their friends or competitors down to their level.

I think you will find that this belief is commonplace and that most countries have the greatest respect for your country and it's people.

Graham

------------------
    You are making progress if each mistake is a new one!

Sig from Here

geebee76@hotmail.com
    You are making progress if each mistake is a new one!

Sig from Here

geebee76@hotmail.com

I think you will find that this belief is commonplace and that most countries have the greatest respect for your country and it's people.
    I have already found out that I was wrong thinking the way I did. In all honesty, maybe because of my own ignorance, that when this happened, Leaders would come on and give ""the speach" of how saddened they are, (ya, ya) but, everyone would be thinking "ha, they got what they deserved". I am glad to say I couldn't have been more wrong. More Countries than us lost people, so I'm not trying to say poor USA, but, to play our National Anthem when your own Country lost people also, is beyond comprehension. To see that 200,000 (200,000??? are you kidding me?) Germans showed up in a show of unification and solidarity? I would have never expected anything of this magnitude. I am so ashamed of the way I have thought for so many years about "screw the other Countries, let's help ourselves, everyone hates us and doesn't help us out" bs, that I can't tell you how embarrassed I am. That only shows how much greater other people are than I was myself. The hatred was in me, not in the other Countries.

[This message has been edited by kaos (edited 09-15-2001).]

There is a passage in the Hagakure that reads:

"There are two kinds of dispositions, inward and outward, and a person who is lacking in one or the other is worthless. It is, for example, like the blade of a sword, which one should sharpen well and then put in its scabbard, periodically taking it out and knitting one's eyebrows as in a n attack, wiping off the blade, and then placing it in its scabbard again.
    If a person has his sword out all the time, he is habitually swinging a naked blade; people will not approach him and he will have no allies.
    If a sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, and the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner."

Our country is headed into a difficult time, and I hope that the support we have recieved from other countries will continue through until the end.
    I have grieved for the victims of this tragedy, and await my country's call.

[This message has been edited by Five Rings (edited 09-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Five Rings (edited 09-15-2001).]

Blog Entries

kaos Yep, 200,000...as in two hundred thousand people in Berlin...demonstrating in support of the US...the newscaster said twenty thousand at first, then corrected himself. Huge crowd, incredible sight...American flags to be seen as well...And Germany lost a respectable number of people in the World Trade Center too.

Oh, and a correction regarding my earlier post, it was at the change of the guard at Buckingham Palace that our National Anthem was played, not the opening, I think it's basically always open...though not necessarily to the general public...

Don't look now, but your world just changed...

------------------
    Support the right to keep and arm bears.
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thumbs up

remember usa you are not alone ..

on fri 14 sept 2001, the republic of ireland (approx 4.5 million people) came to a standstill - the government had declared a national day of mourning - it was quieter than xmas day and not a soul moved on the steets apart from emergency and essential services !

you are in our prayers

david, dublin, ireland

Thread Information