Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: lost parameters in Setup

Unhappy lost parameters in Setup

I recently acquired an ICL DRS3000 486DX33 PC. It has a Fujitsu M2623FA hard disk drive and Adaptec AHA 1740A SCSI disk controller, a tape drive (know nothing about tape drives) and a 3.5" floppy disk drive which I believe is 2.88Mb from the legend on its front panel and 16Mb RAM.
    The system fails to boot from the hard drive and I have no floppy disks for the PC. POST works okay and displays Bios details, memory sizes then after several seconds displays the following:-
    BIOS(61): Hard disk controller error, status = 20H
    BIOS(23): Hard disk init failed

Insert Configuration Utility Diskette in drive A: and press <F1>, or press <F1> to continue or <Ins> for setup mode _

I believe I lost the setup parameters while attending to an intermittent ON/OFF switch accidentally disconnecting the CMOS RAM battery! The CMOS RAM is now storing data but I don't have any parameters for Setup data!

The BIOS is ICL ROM BIOS #21 Version 2.35 92-09-23 and LOADER Version 2.32 92-07-20

From information found on the internet the hard disk is given as 420Mb or 425.1Mb formatted and the suggested parameters for setup are CYL 1435 HD 9 SEC 66.
    The maximum values I can enter are CYL 1024 HD 255 SEC 66.

Can anyone please help me with the correct setup parameters for the hard drive or offer any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?

The first thing to do is look in the BIOS setup program to see if there is an auto-detect feature... there really should be one. If not, then you should be able to get the parms from Fujitsu's web site. If that fails, there are several sites that keep databases of drive parameters, I thinkthere's one in the hard disk area of the site's links section...

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

you can also install winders NT 4.0, it is good about detecting scsi devices and installing them properly. That is what i did with a hard drive and scsi card I had that I had no info about.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

Originally posted by ixl:
    The first thing to do is look in the BIOS setup program to see if there is an auto-detect feature... there really should be one. If not, then you should be able to get the parms from Fujitsu's web site. If that fails, there are several sites that keep databases of drive parameters, I thinkthere's one in the hard disk area of the site's links section...

There is an auto feature but it does not detect the settings, i get the same error messages! As I said in my original post I got setup parameters from the net but it is impossible to input cylinder values greater than 1024 and sector values greater than 63. I came across two sets of figures for the same drive at different sites both of which have cylinder values greater than 1024. I have been trying to work through logical CHS values to find the correct combination but it is very time consuming. The first thing I did was to try each of the 47 preset drive types and found that none worked. In fact at that time I did not even know the size of the HDD.
    Fujitsu's website was not very helpful but I may not have seen it all when I first went there.
    Of course there are other parameters in the setup which I am not too sure about but i think getting the system to boot to the HDD must be first!

Originally posted by ReddDogg:
    you can also install winders NT 4.0, it is good about detecting scsi devices and installing them properly. That is what i did with a hard drive and scsi card I had that I had no info about.

I see but how would I install NT4 even if I had it? I believe the FDD is 2.88 and I have no way of booting from a floppy as I have no disks which is why I am trying to get the hard drive to boot. I do not believe the FDD is being recognised either but I am not sure about this!

There is an auto feature but it does not detect the settings, i get the same error messages!
    That's because I was a retard and didn't read your message thoroughly. That Fujitsu is a SCSI drive and so the setup autodetect will have nothing to do with it. I apologize.
    As I said in my original post I got setup parameters from the net but it is impossible to input cylinder values greater than 1024 and sector values greater than 63.
    This is a BIOS size barrier but should not have anything to do with a SCSI drive.
    I came across two sets of figures for the same drive at different sites both of which have cylinder values greater than 1024. I have been trying to work through logical CHS values to find the correct combination but it is very time consuming. The first thing I did was to try each of the 47 preset drive types and found that none worked. In fact at that time I did not even know the size of the HDD.
    Fujitsu's website was not very helpful but I may not have seen it all when I first went there.
    Of course there are other parameters in the setup which I am not too sure about but i think getting the system to boot to the HDD must be first!
    This is a SCSI drive, so any and all matters related to parameters in the setup program are irrelevant. If there is no IDE drive, disable the autodetect settings in the system BIOS setup. Then, find some documentation for the SCSI card and find out how to use the SCSI host adapter's onboard BIOS to config the drive. You may need to press a special control sequence: check the screen when you try to boot for a BIOS message from the SCSI card.

I am setting myself to track this thread, let me know what happens.

--c

------------------
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide

Fd-pro
    Silly question:
    Do you have OS disks?
    If so reboot from the first disk
    Dan

Dan, I don't think he can even get the disk to detect in the SCSI adapter. The OS disks would be a later issue..

------------------
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide

[QUOTE]
    That's because I was a retard and didn't read your message thoroughly. That Fujitsu is a SCSI drive and so the setup autodetect will have nothing to do with it. I apologize.
    [\QUOTE]

Aha, I was wondering about that, this is the first time I have had anything to do with SCSI drives or interfaces!

[QUOTE]
    This is a SCSI drive, so any and all matters related to parameters in the setup program are irrelevant. If there is no IDE drive, disable the autodetect settings in the system BIOS setup. Then, find some documentation for the SCSI card and find out how to use the SCSI host adapter's onboard BIOS to config the drive. You may need to press a special control sequence: check the screen when you try to boot for a BIOS message from the SCSI card.
    [\QUOTE]

Ok I can disable the type/auto detect settings in the setup by selecting 'None or non ST506/IDE' for the HDD.
    Documentation, I have none whatsoever and so far I have been unlucky trying to find any but I have been looking for some since I acquired the PC!
    Can you give me any clues as to what to look for on the SCSI card, e.g. might there be hardware jumpers to force the on board BIOS to be invoked? I did have a quick look at the board but it is wall to wall chips with the Adaptec AHA1740A right in the centre. I suspect this board is of Fujitsu/ICL manufacture but have not found any identifiers yet. I will have another look this weekend! I am considering stripping down the PC to map all the jumpers etc on the boards!
    So far I have resisted the temptation to closely scrutinise the 6 slot motherboard as it is rather busy and 4 of the 6 ISA slots are occupied, VGA card in slot 6, SCSI card in slot 5, slots 3&4 empty, slot 2 Expansion card (DB37 socket) and slot 1 unknown card with on board ROM, lots of jumpers and DB15 and HDB15 connectors (was wondering if the HDB15 socket was another video output).

As for BIOS messages from the SCSI card I have only seen the errors as I originally posted and one other! There is a single wire jumper from the SCSI card to the motherboard which if removed gives a HDD Controller error, status = 05H instead of the more usual error status = 32H.

As for the possible escape sequence, I had already considered this possibility but gave up when I ran out of commonly used combinations. I will have another try at this though as I may be overlooking something simple!

[QUOTE]

--c
    [\QUOTE]
    Yes I will let you know what happens, if anything! The video monitor expired yesterday and after having a look inside I found the only fuse to be intact so I suspect the transformer primary has failed. Fortunately I have another monitor which I can use!

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Originally posted by DANQU:
    Fd-pro
    Silly question:
    Do you have OS disks?
    If so reboot from the first disk
    Dan
    No I have no disks whatsoever for the PC! If I had a configuration disk I might be asking other questions here! Also I have absolutely no documentation and don't expect to find any too easily as the whole machine appears to have been manufactured by Fujitsu/ICL !!! I expect any manuals etc are hard to come by!

Dan, I don't think he can even get the disk to detect in the SCSI adapter. The OS disks would be a later issue..
    Charles,
    Why would it ask for this then?:
    "Insert Configuration Utility Diskette in drive A: and press <F1>, or press <F1> to continue or <Ins> for setup mode _"

Originally posted by DANQU:
    Charles,
    Why would it ask for this then?:
    "Insert Configuration Utility Diskette in drive A: and press <F1>, or press <F1> to continue or <Ins> for setup mode _"

I am guessing here but I presume the BIOS has a basic driver routine for the floppy disk residing in ROM. The routine would have to discover or assume the type of FDD. I assume 2.8Mb as that is the legend on the front of the FDD. The setup allows the usual 720Kb, 1.4Mb as well in 3.5" and a 5.25" option. The setup appears to default to 3.5" 1.4Mb for FDD 0.
    Presumably the BIOS is looking for more than simple setup parameters.

Now that I know that SCSI does not require CHS parameters, I have set the HDD parameters to non-ST506/IDE and following successful POST I now get a 'Boot Failed' error message. However, there are no references to the Disk Controller or HDD !!!

There is an auto feature but it does not detect the settings, i get the same error messages!
    As I said in my original post I got setup parameters from the net but it is impossible to input cylinder values greater than 1024 and sector values greater than 63.
    This is a BIOS size barrier but should not have anything to do with a SCSI drive.
    I came across two sets of figures for the same drive at different sites both of which have cylinder values greater than 1024. I have been trying to work through logical CHS values to find the correct combination but it is very time consuming. The first thing I did was to try each of the 47 preset drive types and found that none worked. In fact at that time I did not even know the size of the HDD.

--c

Hi, I have now set the HDD value in setup to 'None or Non ST506/IDE'.
    With FDD value set to a drive parameter and Floppy Disk Boot Enabled the system completes the POST , issues a single beep and hangs endlessly. I presume the BIOS is looking for a boot floppy but there are no messages of any sort and the LED on the floppy never lights so I do not believe it is being accessed and this is true for all possibe 3.5" parameters i.e. 720Kb, 1.44Kb and 2.88Kb
    With Floppy Disk Boot Disabled the POST completes okay, after some seconds a single beep is issued and then after a few further seconds the message 'BIOS(70) Boot load failed. System stopped.' appears. From here I can do nothing but reset using <CTRL><ALT><DEL> or <CTRL><ALT><F12>.

Do you get any message at all from, or related to, the Adaptec card? The SCSI card is key. If you aren't seeing anything from it, and if it isn't recgonizing the drive, nothing else you do here will matter much.
    Here's a page with info on that card: http://www.adaptec.com/support/overview/aha1740.html

------------------
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide

Do you get any message at all from, or related to, the Adaptec card? The SCSI card is key. If you aren't seeing anything from it, and if it isn't recgonizing the drive, nothing else you do here will matter much.
    Here's a page with info on that card: http://www.adaptec.com/support/overview/aha1740.html
    Ok here is what I did this afternoon! I removed the Disk Controller card, the expansion card and the SI/XIO (communications?) cards and switched on the PC. This is what was on the screen following POST:-

HRA2 VGABIOS Version A 1M
    (c) Copyright International Computers Limited 1992
    ROM BIOS #21 Version 2.35
    (c) Copyright International Computers Limited 1992

640kB Base memory
    15360kB Extended memory
    Extended memory size not correct, updated
    BIOS(27)No Battery for CMOS clock/RAM
    Insert Configuration Utility Diskette in drive A: and press <F1>, or
    Press <F1> to continue or <Ins> for setup mode

__________________________________________________ _______

Pressing <Ins> puts up the setup screen with the following system defaults

FDD 0 = 3.5" 1.44Mb
    FDD 1 = None
    HDD 0 = None
    HDD 1 = None
    Floppy Controller = R/W
    Floppy Disk Boot = Enabled
    Boot Media 1 = compatible
    Boot Media 2 = compatible
    Boot Media 3 = compatible
    Memory cache = Enabled
    Shadow Option PROMs = Disabled
    BIOS Reload = Disabled
    Reset = <CTRL><ALT><F12>

__________________________________________________ ___

Well I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head, the Adaptec card and the other cards are not recognised and looking at the setup defaults suggests that I need a Configuration Disk!
    I suppose my next step is to download onto a 1.44Mb disk the files from the ADAPTEC AHA 1740 page ,which you have kindly found for me, and attempt to configure the system! I will certainly have a go as I am interested to see whether or not the FDD is working. I have never seen the activity LED on but I don't know if I should expect to as the BIOS is presumably using a limited I/O routine to obtain baisc setup information. I do know that without a disk in the FDD the system hangs endlessly!
    If the Floppy Disk Boot is disabled the system will respond with 'BIOS(70) Boot load failed. System stopped' following POST.

Thread Information