Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: a: drive problems

Angry a: drive problems

I have no idea what to do next..... ever since last week the floopy disk drive has not been accessable the light stays on when powered up i new that was asign that somthing was wrong then i changed the drive all together and attached the sa400 cable with respect to the red line all to no avail does anyone have any suggestions also in the control panel it says the device is working properly i hope this is enough info.........

Blog Entries

Re check the cable. If the drive's LED stays on all the time it means the ribbon cable is reversed. Nothing else will cause the light to stay on at all times. Somewhere it's backwards. The red stripe should correspond to the #1 pin on both drive and controller, they should be marked.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

No idea what an "sa400 cable" is... reminds me of "AS/400" and that's a nightmare from my past I prefer not to explore.
    Pete's basically right on the money as usual. Try reversing the cable. BTW Pete, an "off-by-one" on the cable can also do the steady light routine, I believe, but usually it's the upside-down thing.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Blog Entries

on the money as usual? Hell, I'm doing good to get close once a week!!

But thanks for the compliment...

I'm not sure if off-by-one will do the light trick, but I know it will sure ruin your day trying to figure it out when you can't see the thing...Found out that one the hard way...6 hours later...

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

hey guys switch around the cable and did what the cat above is doing and -----------> (POOF)~~~~~~~~~~nothing (lol) the light remains its really annoying i think its the sa400 cable who knows when you feel you have tried just about everything it turns out to be the most obvious......well off to get a new floopy cable~~~~~` i will let u know what happens

finnally the light is gone.....bought a new cable and whala....thanks guys

Thread Information