Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: how to format a hardisk

Question how to format a hardisk

pls help thanks

Blog Entries

OK, I'll try...a bit more info would be helpful though...

First, you'll need a start up disk for your version of Windows, or a boot disk for your version of DOS.

Next, you have to have the drive installed in the computer and partitioned. Use fdisk for this, it's on the bootdisk. How to fdisk a Hard Drive might help.

Once the drive is partitioned, you'll have to reboot, and format the drive. Boot again to the start up disk, in Win98 choose Command Prompt Only, in DOS just type the following command from the A:\> prompt. I can't remember how the Win95 start up disk works, been a long time... At the A:\> prompt type:

format_:_s using spaces where I put underscores ( _ ) Follow the on screen prompts.

PC Guide's Hard Disk Partitioning and Formatting Procedure is another good link to check out.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information