Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: No beeps when computer is switched on and it remains silent,

Question No beeps when computer is switched on and it remains silent,

COMPUTER DOESN'T BEEP WHEN SWITCHED ON AND REMAINS SILENT. THE HARD DISK SPINS, LED GLOWS, CD DRIVE LED GLOWS AND CONTROLS FUNCTION AND PROCESSOR FAN WORKS.

One fine morning this problem started. The windows 98 was reinstalled the previous day. There were problems regarding reinstallation but ultimately I could reinstall.The computer was closed normally.

I have checked the following things:

1.The SMPS is giving the required output, confirmed with multimeter.
    2.The hard disk, Processor (Intel 200Hz), RAM, Video card, Monitor,and sound card are normal: tested in other computer
    3. I have reassembled the computer 2 times as suggested by you.

Kindly suggest the further line of action. My mother board make is Tomato TX 89.

Thanking you

Sanjay

Blog Entries

Remove everything but the video card and try it, see if you have video. This means with CPU, RAM and keyboard installed, of course.

Try moving the video card to a different slot, if it's a PCI card.

Check for socket creep by pressing anu socketed chips into their sockets, be careful not to bend the motherboard.

Check to be sure the CPU is fully seated, often it can be only partially inserted.

If all of this fails, you're left with bad cache, CMOS chip, motherboard or weak power supply. Could also be the power supply does not produce enough wattage.

------------------
    Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Have you attempted to see whether the cord of the beeper on your computer was accidently pulled out and/or the beeper simply broken? I know that most likely your beeper is working fine and it is a computer problem, but sometimes it helps to check the most obvious things.

I have tried assembling on the table. Putting expansion cards
    one by one. There are still no beeps.

I have checked all the parts except motherboard. All the parts are working.

PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT TO DO NEXT.

Last time when i used this computer I had start up problems. I used floppy start up (window 95). But there were problems. But in the end it was a normal shut down. Next morning the computer was silent, NO BEEPS!

Thanks

Dr Sanjay Kumar

Talking

Sounds like it's your power supply. If you can find a schematic for your power supply you will see that there is a wire marked pg (Power Good). What this is, is when you first turn on your computer the power supply does a self test, when it detirmines that it is good it sends out approx. 3v to 6v signal out on that wire, then the other post tests begin.
    Since you're handy with a volt meter this shouldn't be a problem for you. Or what you can do is what I like to call the McGyver method. Stick a paper clip in the pg slot and jumper it to a 5v slot, then turn on the PC. I have done this method myself to confirm that the power supply was bad, then I would replace the power supply.
    I know a book published by QUE would have the schematic, but I can't remember the name of it. Something like PC hardware and repair. Or perhaps the power supply section in this web site may have it.

Sound like a bad power good to me BobD.
    The book you refer to is online at http://cma.zdnet.com/book/upgraderepair/index.htm

BobD.

Are you sure there's no danger of destroying the power good output by connecting it to 5v?

I'd need to see a circuit diagram first to satisfy myself this is harmless.

What kind of output is it?

To be safe, disconnect the PG output from the supply before connecting the motherboard PG input to 5v.

Thumbs up

The Power Good is like an electronic switch. 3v < power off ; > 3v power on. All of the power output from the power supply is 5v except for the connectors to your hard drive type hardware, sometimes these are 12v.
    P1 P2 connector right? Just jumper it. Or like you say, you like to be cautious, so verify with a volt meter first. If you're getting the correct output 3v to 6v, then this is not your problem. If it is less then 3v (and if it is, it's probably less then 1v) jumper it to another wire on the P1 P2 connector that has a 5v+ output and it should work . I have done this before. And like others have mentioned, if it's under warranty, send it back have them fix it. If it's not, you have nothing to lose, it isn't working any way.
    I checked the link in the previous post. Excellent work! This was exactly what I was referring to. Click on the link, select Power Supplies, click on connectors, then select the appropriate type power supply. I think it's probably fig. 8.1 PC/XT - form factor power supply.
    Read up on it. What I say makes sense, logically.

Thanks!

1. I have tested the power output. It's giving prescribed output.

2. I was using the PC without UPS (There are lot of fluctuations in
    the voltage here). Could it be power problem ?

3. My mother board is Tomato TX 89 (Pentium I).

PLEASE SUGGEST ME FURTHER LINE OF ACTION. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE MOTHER BOARD! ARE THE SYMPTOMS SUGGESTIVE OF A FINE MOTHER BOARD ?

Dr Sanjay Kumar

Question

Hhhmmm this is really hard to say now, if you say you're getting the correct output voltage. The unstable line power may have caused the damage to the motherboard. It's just too hard to say without the proper tools such as a post it card.
    Lets review the facts.
    1.) Monitor works, tested on another computer
    2.) Memory works, tested in another computer
    3.) Processor works, tested in another computer.
    4.) Hard drive works tested in another computer.
    5.) Power supply output appears to have the correct output

Did the computer ever beep when you turned on the computer?
    If it's not beeping but it used too, and the speaker is plugged in correctly to the motherboard then maybe your motherboard is shot.

Can you access the hard drive by booting to a floppy then go to the c:\ prompt?

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR KIND REPLIES!

1.Motherboard is Pentium I tomato tx89
    2.I tried another power supply (normal) but the there is no post check.
    3.Should I call it a day and buy a brand new board ?
    4. I have tried floppy startup but it is always silent.
    5. I have to check the speaker wire (I am not sure about the wire). But there is no video display. Do i need to check the speaker wire ?

Thanks

Sanjay Kumar

Unhappy

Yeah I think we pretty much covered it! Sometimes I think people are too fast to blame the motherboard (especially techs from manufactures and sellers) but all the ducks seem to be in a row and about leaves the motherboard as the culprit. No need to mess with the wire if you can't get the video. Having the speaker beep out the codes may help but then you have to find the codes that pertain to your Bios. Although somebody did post an excellent link to post Bios codes this past weekend under one of the questions but I don't remember which one. I bookmarked it on my other computer.

Blog Entries

BIOS beep codes

Error codes with Problem Source Listing

Phoenix Error Codes

Been watching this one, and haven't had anything to add to what's already been suggested. After all that's been tried and checked, I'm beginning to suspect a bad motherboard, especially since it didn't post using another power supply, if I read the above post right.

------------------
    Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information