Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Floppy drive stop responding

Angry Floppy drive stop responding

floppy drive is not working when i put a floppy in it. it show green
    light as it is reading floppy but after few seconds it reply floppy is inaccesible. please help me solve it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sameersg:
    floppy drive is not working when i put a floppy in it. it show green
    light as it is reading floppy but after few seconds it reply floppy is inaccesible. please help me solve it [/QUOTE

does the light stay on all the time if so the the ide cable is reversed first thing that comes to mind but you have to be a little more specific

Blog Entries

Also try a disk cleaning kit, might have to look around, but they're available at places like Radio Shack or Comp USA. When the drive heads get dirty, which is not often, it can't read anything.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Question

I am having the same problem...only my green light is on all the time and it will not recognize disks that I put in there. I heard someone mention that the IDE cable is reversed earlier in this thread. What do you mean by that? How do I fix this?

------------------
    Bob
    Bob

Lightbulb

rthielemann: If the green light on your floppy drive stays steadily lit all the time and never goes out, your cable is probably on incorrectly. If you've been inside the case recently, it's possible the cable is not seated tightly to the motherboard or on the back of the floppy drive. It's easy to pull cables loose in the tight confines of a case...

Open your case and look closely at your 34-pin floppy cable. You should see a thin (often red) stripe running along one side of it. The striped side corresponds to pin 1 on your motherboard floppy controller. Pin 1 is usually marked on the motherboard, but it's often quite small and hard to see. Most of the time all the pin 1's face the same direction, so if you can't see the marking on the board, try plugging it in the same direction the stripes on the other cables are plugged in. Use a bright light to look closely at the pins on the board to be sure none are bent over, and be sure you aren't accidentally plugging in the cable offcenter, missing the pins on either end. This is very easy to do, especially on older motherboards that don't have a pre-formed slot around the pins.

Next, on the other end, try plugging the cable into the floppy drive with the striped side facing the power plug. Although I've seen exceptions, most seem to have pin 1 next to the power plug. Here again, look closely at the pins on the back of the drive to be sure none are bent or missed when you plug in the cable.

Now, if the floppy drive still doesn't work, shut down and only change the cable end on the back of the drive. Boot up and see if it works. If not, shut down again and change the other end on the motherboard. Boot again. Change only one thing at a time, and unless the motherboard connector or the drive itself is bad, you'll hit upon the right combination.

Hope this helps!
    Kim

Tried to check the cable but found that it was on correctly. The cable plugs into a fitted port. So I assume that the problem is not due to the cable being connected wrong. I just replaced the motherboard so I doubt that the onboard floppy ctlr is bad, so I am leaning towards the floppy drive or the cable. Anyone have anything else that it could be? The light is always on and the drive will not read disks. Please help. Thanks.

------------------
    Bob
    Bob

rthielemann:

The light is always on and the drive will not read disks.
    This almost has to be cable on wrong. If the cable end that attaches to the motherboard floppy controller plugs into a fitted port and can't be put in backwards, then it's the other end that is the problem. Where the cable plugs into the back of the floppy drive itself, reverse the cable end there. Most, but not all, have pin 1 next to the power plug.

If the cable is right, I'd say your floppy drive is probably defective.

Kim

Thread Information