Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CDR101: not ready reading drive E

Question CDR101: not ready reading drive E

`I need advise badly, I am building a computer from scratch. So far this is what I have done.

1. Installed a Vinking Pro 586 motherboard.
    2. Installed a samsung hard drive - 4.3 gb - used has windows 98 installed.
    3. installed a 33.6 modem
    4, Installed a Creative lab sound card
    5. Installed a video card 2 mb
    6. Installed a com port to com l
    7. Installed a printer port
    8. Installed a Wearnes cdrom and installled the proper driver for it..
    Next I turned it on, I had to adjust the time and date.
    Bios found the hard drive and one cdrom.

I am using a windows 98 start up boot disk, and intend on reinstalling windows 98 on a formatted hard drive, so far everything seems to be working ok, however, when I try to access my cd rom I get this message:

Concerning my cdrom:
    CDR101: not ready reading drive E

I need to know which files need to be adjusted to syncronize the E drive.
    I have tried the following files:
    config.sys
    autoexec.bat

I am now at a loss as to what to do.
    No matter what I do I get the same error message.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rene

Blog Entries

Post the contents of config.sys. Might be something there that needs a slight change.

Not trying to make you sound dumb, but a CD must be in the drive before DOS or Windows can read it.

If it does in fact have a disk imserted, the drive hubs might not be spinning it. The disk has to spin before the OS can read from it. This is usually either because the drive hubs are dirty, or the drive is dead or defective. If it'sd a new drive, see if you can take it back and exchange it. If it's an older one, you might have to open it up and clean the drive hubs with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Smile

on startup I get this message - ramdrive in virtual drive d - I do not know what virtual drive is and does it interfeer with the cdrom?

Config.sys From bootup disk
    ============
    [menu]
    menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=HELP, View the Help file.
    menudefault=CD,30
    menucolor=7,0

[CD]
    device=himem.sys /testmem ff
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    rem device=btdosm.sys
    device=flashpt.sys
    device=wcd.sys /D:mscd001
    device=aspi2dos.sys
    device=aspi8dos.sys
    device=aspi4dos.sys
    device=aspi8u2.sys
    device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

[NOCD]

[HELP]

[COMMON]
    files=10
    buffers=10
    dos=high,umb
    stacks=9,256
    devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048
    lastdrive=z

-------------------
    Config.sys On hard drive
    ---------------------------------------
    ;DVD/CD-ROM/R/RW Boot Diskette
    ;created 12-01-98

;[common]
    lastdrive=z
    device=HIMEM.SYS /testmem ff
    device=emm386.exe noems
    ;device=ramdrive.sys 1024 /e
    dos=high,umb
    files=60
    buffers=30
    stacks=9,256

[Menu]
    menucolor=15,1
    menuitem=SCSI,For systems with an Adaptec UW (SCSI) CD or DVD
    menuitem=LVD,For systems with an Adaptec U2 (LVD) CD or DVD
    menuitem=IDE,For systems with an IDE/Atapi CD or DVD (Default)
    menudefault=IDE,10

[SCSI]
    devicehigh=cdrom\aspi8dos.sys /d
    devicehigh=cdrom\aspi8cd.sys /d:Wcd
    ;set cdrom=Wcd

[LVD]
    device=cdrom\ASPI8U2.SYS /d:Wcd
    DEVICE=cdrom\ASPICD.SYS /D:Wcd
    ;set cdrom=Wcd

[IDE]
    devicehigh=cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d:Wcd
    ;set cdrom=Wcd

;[common]
    DEVICE = C:\CDROM\WCD.SYS /D:WP_CDROM
    SET ENDFLAG=1
    ;Flag to denote the end of the config.sys file.

------------------
    Autoexec.bat from setupup disk:
    --------------------------
    @ECHO OFF
    set EXPAND=YES
    SET DIRCMD=/O:N
    set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P 15
    set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D 3 C
    cls
    call setramd.bat %LglDrv%
    set temp=c:\
    set tmp=c:\
    path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\
    copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
    set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com
    copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL
    copy readme.txt %RAMD%:\ > NUL

:ERROR
    IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT
    echo Please insert Windows 98 Startup Disk 2
    echo.
    pause
    GOTO ERROR

:EXT
    %RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL
    echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.
    echo.

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
    IF "%config%"=="HELP" GOTO HELP
    LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
    echo.
    GOTO QUIT

:HELP
    cls
    call help.bat
    echo Your computer will now restart and the startup menu will appear.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    restart.com
    GOTO QUIT

:QUIT
    echo To get help, type HELP and press ENTER.
    echo.
    rem clean up environment variables
    set CDROM=D
    set LglDrv=

-------------------
    Autoexec.bat on hard drive
    --------------------
    @echo off

c:\mscdex /d:MSCD001
    set cddrive=D:

-----------------

I sure hope this helps. If you make corrections or suggestions in the files themselves do so in red if you can. Thank you

Lightbulb

Bunch of random shots in the dark follow...

You say the hard drive has Win98 installed. Will the computer boot without the boot disk? If so, how far does it get? Looking at your hard drive autoexec.bat and config.sys files, it looks like the CDROM letter was set to D:\, mscdex.exe is in the root of C:\, and the CDROM driver file is C:\Cdrom\wcd.sys. If your computer will boot to Safe Mode, maybe you could remove drivers in Device Manager for components already on that hard drive and when you restart, Windows could detect the components of your system as it is now. Doesn't always work, but I've gotten lucky doing just that more than once.

If the computer will not boot without the boot disk, there are a couple of things you can try next.

FYI, when you're using a Win98 boot disk, the "ramdrive in virtual drive d" is normal. It's just setting up access to diagnostic tools and shouldn't have any effect on your CDROM, which would then be drive E:\.

Maybe none of the drivers on the Win98 boot disk are compatible with your CDROM. Is it an older drive? At the Wearnes website, it looks like all the CDROM driver downloads were posted in February 1998, but the files inside the zipped drivers are even older. Go here http://www.wpinet.com.sg/Support/support.html to see if you can find a DOS driver for your CDROM. If you find and download one, you will have to unzip it to a floppy to install it from DOS. However, please note that the readme.txt in the driver files say you will need a copy of mscdex.exe on your C:\ drive because one is not supplied with the download. Do you still have files on your hard drive, or have you already formatted? If you've already formatted and no files are left, there might be a copy of mscdex.exe on the "virtual drive d" that is created when you boot from the Win98 boot disk, but you'll have to check. If there is, copy it to your C:\drive if it will let you.

Last resort, if nothing else works, I can try to step you through creating a modified Win98 boot disk with your own CDROM drivers on it. I would suggest you create a second Win98 boot disk on another computer for backup and verify that you can boot with it (so you won't be left with no boot disk if the modified disk doesn't work).

Hope something in this ramble helps!
    Kim

Blog Entries

After a bit of consideration, I think you might have to think about the possibility that the CD ROM drive's just plain ol' dead...

Sorry about making you go through the autoexec.bat posting and all, just realized that until you install, you don't have one, except on the boot disk, and that does us little good.

Just noticed, on re-reading before I click send, in the last short section, the autoexec.bat on hard drive:

Autoexec.bat on hard drive
    --------------------
    @echo off

c:\mscdex /d:MSCD001
    set cddrive=D:
    try changing the last line to set cddrive=E: and see if that makes any difference. That might be the problem, if this autoexec.bat is being run, the ramdrive is D, while the autoexec.bat is placing the CD on D too, and the program is looking for the CD ROM on E, so it's telling you E doesn't exist. It's a long shot, but might work.

Maybe you didn't post all that for nothing...

------------------

Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Cool

Windows is not installed on my hard drive. It used to be but because I was getting an error in the registry and It wouldn't boot up I had to reformat the hard dirve. So now windows is not installed at all.

I have tried to change the autoexec bat file to set cedrive=E: that didn't work either.
    I do have updated cdrom drivers installed.
    It does not bootup without the bootup disk inserted in the floppy
    bios setup order I am using A, C, SCSI
    A, C, SCSI perhaps I should be using something else
    C, A, SCSI I do not have a scsi cdrom installed either.
    C, CDROM, A
    CDROM, C, A
    D, A, SCSI
    E, A, SCSI
    F, A, SCSI
    SCSI, A, C
    SCSI, C, A
    C ONLY
    LS / ZIP / C
    Should I set the cdrom=E in the autoexec.bat on the floppy and the hard drive or just the hard drive?

Here is a list of what is on the hard dirve at the moment.
    attrib.exe 5-6-98
    autoexec.mtm 10-18-00
    autoexec.btc 10-18-00
    autoexec.cdd 10-18-00
    autoexec.bac 10-19-00
    autoexec.bat 10-20-00
    btccdrm.sys 8-8-97
    btccdrom Dir
    btccdrom.sys 9-9-97
    cdplay.exe 3-17-95
    manual.txt 7-31-97
    manual.wri 7-31-97
    qtc.txt 7-31-97
    qtc.wri 7-31-97
    cdrom Dir
    aspi8cd.sys 4-18-97
    aspi8dos.sys 8-12-97
    aspi8u2.sys 12-3-97
    aspicd.sys 8-12-97
    btccdrom.sys 8-8-97
    cd1.sys 9-16-96
    cd2.sys 11-21-96
    cd3.sys 5-11-96
    cd4.sys 6-7-96
    micronA.bat 12-1-98
    mscdex.exe 10-19-00
    oakcdrom.sys 5-11-98
    wcd.sys 3-25-96
    command.com 5-11-98
    config.mtm 10-18-00
    config.cdd 10-18-00
    config.btc 10-17-00
    config.syc 10-19-00
    config.sys 10-20-00
    deltree.exe 5-11-98
    edit.com 5-6-98
    emm386.exe 5-11-98
    fdisk.exe 5-11-98
    format.com 5-11-98
    hymen.sys 5-11-98
    mouse.com 6-18-90
    mscdex.com 5-11-98
    mtm dir
    mtmcdAI.sys 4-24-98
    mtmcdAI.386 2-23-95
    nc dir (norton commander)
    readme.txt 2-18-99
    sys.com 5-6-98

This is what is on the Boot disk
    Aspi2dos.sys 5-11-98
    Aspi4dos.sys 5-11-98
    Aspi8dos.sys 5-11-98
    Aspi8u2.sys 5-11-98
    Aspicd.sys 5-11-98
    Autoexec.bat 10-20-00
    Btdosm.sys 5-11-98
    Command.com 5-11-98
    Config.sya 2-21-00
    config.sys 10-20-00
    Drvspace.bin 5-11-98
    Ebc.cab 5-11-98
    Extract.exe 5-11-98
    Findremd.exe 5-11-98
    Flashpt.sys 5-11-98
    Himen.sys 5-11-98
    Oakcdrom.sys 5-11-98
    Piomode.exe 2-19-00
    Ramdrive.sys 5-11-98
    Readme.txt 5-11-98
    Setramd.bat 5-11-98
    Wcd.sys 8-30-96

I am really sorry for all these problems I am giving you but I really appreciate all your help.

Lightbulb

OK Rene, this is really going to be a shot in the dark...

Looking at the files on the hard drive gave me an idea. This is probably crazy, but at this point it's worth a try.

First, I wouldn't recommend changing anything on your startup floppy. At this point, it's the only way to boot your computer and we don't want to mess it up!

Leave your startup sequence at A,C,SCSI.

Boot to the startup disk, then at the A:\> prompt type c: [Enter].
    At the C:\> prompt, type edit_autoexec.bat [Enter]
    Please note that every time I use an underscore (_) between words, it means to leave one space unless I tell you otherwise.
    Change your autoexec.bat file to look like this:

@echo off
    c:\mscdex.exe /d:MSCD001
    set cddrive=D:

Save the file and exit.
    Now type edit_config.sys [Enter]
    Change your config.sys file to look like this:

device=HIMEM.SYS /testmem off
    device=emm386.exe noems
    files=60
    buffers=30
    stacks=9,256
    device=c:\wcd.sys /d:wp_cdrom
    Note: use the underscore here, it's part of the filename!

Save file and exit.

Look closely at the spaces between words in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files as I told you to change them. I don't know how to show that many underscores without really confusing you, and myself!

Remove the floppy and try to boot to the C: drive. Try to watch what's appearing on the black screen while it's loading. If you see any errors, try to write down what they are. You can press the Pause/Break key in the upper righthand corner of your keyboard to pause the screen if need be, then hit Enter to continue.

Let me know what happens with this. Maybe there's still hope!
    Kim

Blog Entries

A;C;SCSI is the right boot sequence.

If you want to install windows, you need to start with a totally clean hard drive. Format it and start from scratch. Boot to the Start Up disk and from the A:\> prompt:
    format c: /s will format the drive and make it bootable.

Then boot to the Windows 98 Start Up disk and see what happens. I can make no sense out of what you posted as being already on the hard drive, it should install a ramdrive and find your CD ROM when you boot to the Start Up disk. The only CD ROM's I've seen that it has trouble with are the older 2X Panasonic drives.

Check the drive and ribbon cable, the colored stripe on the ribbon cable corresponds to the #1 pin on controller and drive. If the CD ROM is placed on the same IDE cable as the hard drive it should be jumpered as Slave, if it is on the secondary IDE channel it should be jumpered as Master if by itself, and Master or Slave if with another drive, depending on which position it's in.

In BIOS set the proper channel on Auto

I can't think of any reason you should be having this much trouble, unless you have a corrupt Start Up disk, or the CD ROM is dead. Try and make another Start Up disk on a friend's machine, or try Boot Disk

You don't need the autoexec.bat on the hard drive, or aspi, or attrib.exe, or mouse.com or anything else you posted. Should be nothing on it but the system files, command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys. You really don't absolutely have to have those, the Windows installation should take care of it.

Format that puppy and start from scratch...

------------------

My Photography

Talking

Check the drive and ribbon cable, the colored stripe on the ribbon cable corresponds to the #1 pin on controller and drive. If the CD ROM is placed on the same IDE cable as the hard drive it should be jumpered as Slave, if it is on the secondary IDE channel it should be jumpered as Master if by itself, and Master or Slave if with another drive, depending on which position it's in.
    Pete: Good call on checking the cable, jumpers, and making a new boot disk. The CDROM is being recognized in the BIOS, but that doesn't mean the cable is on correctly.

BTW, all that stuff on the hard drive is from the Wearnes drivers rene installed when the Win98 boot disk wouldn't find the CDROM. I work on alot of older computers and I've sometimes had trouble using the boot disk with offbrand older models that have weird driver setups. When that happens, I use the procedure I posted above to create startup files on the hard drive that let me access the CDROM so I can copy the OS files to the machine. Once the CD is working, I delete all the unneeded files from the hard drive and install from there. Also, it's a way to verify that the CDROM is actually working when there's no other way to test it.

rene: Pete's right about the format and clean install from the Win98 boot disk being the best way to go. Check your setup carefully for cable orientation, bent or missed pins at the plugs, and jumper settings. If you want to try creating the autoexec.bat and config.sys files I suggested in my post above, it won't hurt anything and if it works, at least you'll know the CDROM is OK. After trying everything Pete and I have suggested, if the drive still isn't working, I would seriously suspect the CDROM is no good and it might be less headaches for you to just get a new one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...
    Kim

Sorry to keep you hanging without an update on my progress. Still have had no luck. I have tried everything you suggested but nothing, could not reformat the hard drive though - not enough memory or internal stack error. This next week I am either going to take it to someone else and have them look at it or try a different cdrom. I did however managed to get it to boot directly to the hard drive. I guess that is a plus isn't it! I have not given up entirely just slacked off for a while, at least until I do some extra reading I know there is a solution somewhere. I just have to dig a little deeper. I will keep you posted on my progress.

My Best
    Rene

CDROM not ready

I just realized that this thread is VERY OLD. But I have the same problem that was being discussed here.

I am working in an old Gateway Desktop that has been running with Windows 98 installed. I recently began having a variety of problems whenever I turned it on. Then one day I receive a message that Explorer has attempted an illegal operation and the system just hangs.

I worked on that for a long time and then decided it was time to punt. I changed out the harddrive and started from scratch. I reformatted and the harddrive (FDISK C:/S).

SCANDISK /ALL/SURFACE
    produces good results. No errors.

Now I can't reliably access the CDROM. It will read some CDs but won't read others (I get a message CDR101 not ready).

Autoexec.bat contains:

c:\DEV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd000 /V/M:12

Config.sys contains:

Device=C:\DEV\ATAPI CD.sys /mscd000

C:\dir returns:

Autoexec.bat
    Command.com
    Config.sys
    DEV <DIR>
    Reboot.com
    RSTAE.bat
    scandisk.log

Hopefully, somewhere in my rambling will be some information that someone can use to help be resolve this problem. If I can get the CDROM back in operation, I intend to reformat the original harddrive (large enough to be of use) and load XP or Windows NT.

I want to use this computer in my wood shop and don't intend to use it online. It is a bit too slow for online work but it is lot better than the old CPM machine.

Um...that vintage machine/CD drive...boat anchor. CD drives that make it to 5 yrs old are great...those that last longer are fantastic, but most die in the 3-5 yr range. Since it is not reliably reading disks, I'd say an alignment problem or the belt driving it is shot...both not worth messing with.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

cdr101 not ready reading drive

Hi, I realise that this problem you had was a while ago but here comes the solution: It is the cd-r when using 700MB 80 min some older cdrom or even as in my case dvd reader/writer wich is a SDR6012 toshiba as in my Toshiba 5200-801 laptop.
    It simply would not read Verbatim cd-rw 700MB nor Verbatim super AZO Crystal and not cd-r Imation got every time the "cdr101 not ready reading drive".
    I finaly got lucky with a TDK CD-RW 700 4x Speed this one could be read or TDK CD-R74 650MB is fine as well.

Thread Information