Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: ZipCD Drive 12x4x32 is not recognized by Windows'98

Exclamation ZipCD Drive 12x4x32 is not recognized by Windows'98

My new ZipCD Drive 12x4x32 is not recognized by Windows'98 and is not assigned a drive letter. On Primary IDE I have a hard drive as master and there is no other device on Primary IDE as slave. On Secondary IDE I have another hard drive as Master and ZipCD as Slave. BIOS reports all three devices correctly. After booting (Windows 98 First Edition - I have not upgraded to SE) there is no Drive letter assigned to ZipCD. When I goto the ControlPanel->System->Devices.. I can see a CDROM but its properties say that device it is mounted on (Secondary IDE) is not working properly. There is a yellow ! sign in front of secondary IDE and it says it is not working properly. I can still access the second hard drive on Secondary IDE. I have tried switching the Master/Slave on secondary IDE (i.e. ZipCD as Master and hard drive as Slave) but the same problem persists. If I boot through DOS boot disk I can access all three devices but not through Windows'98 .

I have made sure that the ZipCD drive works by putting it as Master on Secondary with no other device as Slave. It also works if I put is as Slave on Primary IDE (though it burns very slow).

Due to the physical space constraints (location of slots) I can not put 2 devices on Primary IDE so I have to put both ZipCD and second hard drive on Secondary IDE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Amit

Cool

The yellow splat means you have a conflict on the system or the device driver was not installed properly.
    Go to control panel-> systems-> device manager->click on the cd-rw drive and then click properties.Then click on driver and click on update driver.
    If you have the cd-rom came with your cd-rw use that and use search for a driver in a specific location and load driver for your drive.

If you do not have cd-rom then go to the manufacturer website, download latest driver and load them. Things should work just fine.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    RM
    RM

Thread Information