Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: copying bootable CDs

Unhappy copying bootable CDs

I once managed to copy my windows98 cd so I could keep the original safe. This worked fine and even booted just like the original. Then I got a windows98SE disc and before installing I copied it and used the copy to install on my system. This copy also booted but then I lost the copy and so made another. This won't boot. Is this because of win98SE? Every cd I made under plain old win98 booted but not since I upgraded. The thing that puzzles me most is that no system files are visible in explorer on the cds that boot, so how do they do it?

Exclamation

Now I'm talking to myself. I've tried a few forums with this problem/question and had no luck. It's not a big problem compared to what others are tearing their hair out over but it's got me puzzled and I just have to find some kind of answer! Can I add a few new (to me) facts?
    I have made bootCDs and they work. My CD software (Easy CD 4) asks for a bootfloppy and adds two .BIN files to the CD layout (As it should). Now I have an OEM copy of both WIN98 and WIN98SE, these both boot but do not show the .BIN files in explorer or DOS while my own ones do. If I copy one of these win98 discs they copy fine but will not boot. This is since I upgraded to 98SE as the copy I made under the original 98 using the same software does boot! How can a CD boot and not have the bootimage files?

Thread Information