Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: WIN 98/ Toshiba cd drive

Post WIN 98/ Toshiba cd drive

I have just tried installing an upgrade for WIN98 over Win 95. During the process it quit recognizingmy Toshiba CD drive and I had trouble installing WIN 98. Now the CD shows up in the boot up screen, and on "my computer" but it does not read the the drive.
    I have tried downloading a Toshiba driver and when I try to set it up i get an error code "MSCDEX.EXE" not found. When I do a searach, it is on my system. When I tried using the CD to install another program, I got an error message that said it couldn't do it as the CD drive was a DOs based drive. What can I do if anything?

Blog Entries

This might be a panasonic interface drive, they occasionally work in win95, but I'm not sure if they will in win98.

I would try removing it from Device Manager in Safe Mode, and reboot, let windows find and reinstall it.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
    This might be a panasonic interface drive, they occasionally work in win95, but I'm not sure if they will in win98.

I would try removing it from Device Manager in Safe Mode, and reboot, let windows find and reinstall it.
    Unfortunetly, its not even showing in the device manager.
    Thanks

Exclamation

Hey,

Try using the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel.

Also, check your autoexec.bat and config.sys files for path statements referencing the mscdex.exe file. Make sure the location is correct. The statements should be remarked out for Windows to ignore them, but they are needed for DOS support.

If the statements look correct, then try the Add New.... That should find the necessary drivers and install them.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Thread Information